• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Festaes and your input

I want to do a festae tank and have done a ton of reading so far on them. Now it's time to ask for some personal experiences with this fish. All input is welcome, good bad or indifferent. Thanks in advance.

spazmattik

Members
But to expand on that... i bought 5 or 6 juvies from rapps and these actually died along with the istlanums for whatever reason. So this is the only other fish i just havent had any luck with. I know theres a couple others that have had this issue as well. Awesome fish though. Go for it!

DBLN8

Members
I have 3 of them (2.5") growing out in a 120. no problems so far, eating like champs and starting to show lots of red with different amounts of blue spangles. Pics are from when I got them at Aquamania, they've grown maybe 1/2" since then.

AquaStudent

Members
Nice photo dnln8. That's got to be great watching them grow up.

Here's a question to add to the discussion. I'm looking to have a single centerpiece male (or female depending on how bad the aggression is...but either way just one of the species).

Would it be better to get a few and rehome all but one when they get larger (take the pick of the litter) or raise one from a young age. There would be other SA cichlids growing up in the tank max size of 7" to 12" so the festae would be the bosses).

blkmjk

Members
I have tried over thirty festea. I killed them all. 1"-12" they all died for me. In fairness I was pretty inexperienced and it was poor water quality. If I try them again I am going to get a group and grow out some pairs. Good luck with your Conquest.

Drew

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Good luck in your endeavor. I've never tried to keep them myself, but would guess that conspecific aggression is high once they hit 4-5 inches. If I were going to try them, I'd go with a 6 foot tank with lots of sight breaks and start with a group of small fish.

Thanks everyone for your input, I think i am going to order a group of at least 6 to start with and see how things go from there.

AquaStudent, I would probably just get the 1 myself if I only wanted 1. This would eliminate me trying to find homes for the remaining fish. I can see where the argument could go either way though.

tparker

Members
Think you should contact experienced festae breeders/ hobbyists before making purchase. Good blood lines arent cheap. I have two large pairs (12" male, 7" male , 7" & 6" females) currently that are doing well. Not all together however. Had to go thru several nice pairs however before getting some understanding of raising these beautiful fish. I know a breeder that would be more than willing to give great pointers on successful festae keeping. Without pressuring you to purchase.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tparker

Members
Give me a call 240-216-2645.
No I wasnt speaking of Ira.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

But to expand on that... i bought 5 or 6 juvies from rapps and these actually died along with the istlanums for whatever reason. So this is the only other fish i just havent had any luck with. I know theres a couple others that have had this issue as well. Awesome fish though. Go for it!

I bought 4 juveniles from a local breeder, and all but one survived. They just wouldn't eat and starved to death except one who finally decided to eat pellet food. I wonder if a lot of people have problem raising Festae.

ccp2007

Members
I absolutely LOVE my Festae, Lucy! She's an awesome fish with so much personality. I would also agree to just keep 1. They are so beautiful and so enjoyable to watch, I just believe that one is best because they just deserve so much attention. Here's a pic of my Lucy.
uploadfromtaptalk1401161210840.jpg

Happily married Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 15 gilled babies

uploadfromtaptalk1401161210840.jpg

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Festae are great. :D
I had a male that grew to about 11" before I sold him. He tried to kill every little thing that entered the tank so I sold him so I could have multiple fish in my 120.

ccp2007

Members
I wish I had a big enough tank for a couple more. I only have room for 1.

Happily married Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 15 gilled babies

They look good...
I'm glad that I took time out to read the thread because I have four small festae and wanted to let them stay together. I was going to give up on the festae thing but its hard to turn your back on these beautiful fish.

Thanks again to everyone who had input on this thread... I love the sharing of information before bad decision are mad by anybody......