• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Female Jack Dempsey Beat Up

dankdabe

Members
My mated pair of JDs just spawned and have gone through the typical courtship mouthing, lip locking, etc. The male has beaten up the female a little more than usual and she has developed a little cloudy eye from likely scratching her eye on a rock and some scraped up scales. Turned off the lights and threw some melafix in there but I'm afraid he's going to keep chasing her down, beating her up. Anyone know a DIY divider option? I'd like to split them up. Let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Plenipotentiary-at-large
I'm shocked

Best give her something to get small in until you get her in the clear. Long as she can be seen it's no good.

Just had the same thing happen with my oblongums (again) but she has a cave she can enter that he cannot. My guy (and probably yours) won't relent until the babies are gone or grown or she is relocated. Once that happens they'll be best friends again real fast.

Being a Dad is apparently commonly distressful for all concerned.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Just for all you gals.

That's the ticket - the male's utility really is rather limited, not reason to keep him around any longer than strictly necessary.

Hawkman2000

Members
Interesting, he never did that before. I would be worried about compatibility after putting them back together again. Anythings better than a dead fish I guess.

dankdabe

Members
Didnt end up separating them. Melafixed the tank for the past three days and she's healing up nicely. Shes guarding the now free swimming pack of babies and is back to her usual aggressive protective mama ways. Thanks for the info all.