• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Feelings on aquarium salt

hotwingz

Members
Ive always heard you need aquarium salt in your tanks. But i also thought i was supposed to periodically change my filter media! Thank you for all that helpful info! But is aquarium salt a must only for healing...???

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Aquarium salt, non-iodized table salt, and epsom salt are all commonly used in the aquarium (without live plants). It boosts the Gh and adds trace elements that may be depleted or depleting. I personally only use it when my fish are sick or injured. I change 50-75% of the water weekly and make sure to underfeed. As a result, I feel that the Gh levels do not deplete very much in that time.

wlsgmfr123

Members
Maintaing a little amount of salt in your fish tank, especially Tangy, would be more likely making the tank more nature to fish. Which is good

It doesn't hurt if you add salt, and it doesn't hurt if you don't. I used to add salt religiously but i stopped and fish still do fine.

rich_one

Members
I only use salt if fish are sick. I'm even guilty of using the straight ol' iodized table salt, with no obvious ill effect I could ever tell (not that I'm suggesting you should do the same, if others are aware of known harmful effects). When a group of my juvies had a big ich outbreak last year, I upped the heat and used regular iodized table salt, and the ich was clear within a week.

-Rich

Shane

Members
Interesting you raise this. I thought the practice of adding salt to freshwater aquariums for its "magical" properties had gone the way of the dodo decades ago. It is as outdated, and scientifically disproven, as the oldtimer's belief that water changes are bad for aquarium fish. That said, I actually heard a LFS employee last weekend telling a lady and her kids to add salt to their tank. I guess this LFS employee's reference book was his trusty 1935 edition of Innes.

There are medicinal uses for salt. A salt dip for example, is a routine treatment for wild caught fishes to remove parasites. It can also be helpful when transporting fish or treating catfish for brown blood disease. However, unless you are keeping brackish or euryhaline fishes there is no reason to add salt to an aquarium. Ostariophysi (catfishes, characins, cyprinids and gymnotiformes) are particularly susceptible to salt even in very low concentrations. Even Innes noted that Corydoras died very quickly when salt was added to their tank. Perciformes (cichlids) tend to tolerate higher salt levels since they had marine ancestors.

Don't count on old aquarium literature on this one. Plenty of studies have been done by actual scientists for the aquaculture industry.
-Shane

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yup

Interesting you raise this. I thought the practice of adding salt to freshwater aquariums for its "magical" properties had gone the way of the dodo decades ago. It is as outdated, and scientifically disproven, as the oldtimer's belief that water changes are bad for aquarium fish. That said, I actually heard a LFS employee last weekend telling a lady and her kids to add salt to their tank. I guess this LFS employee's reference book was his trusty 1935 edition of Innes.

There are medicinal uses for salt. A salt dip for example, is a routine treatment for wild caught fishes to remove parasites. It can also be helpful when transporting fish or treating catfish for brown blood disease. However, unless you are keeping brackish or euryhaline fishes there is no reason to add salt to an aquarium. Ostariophysi (catfishes, characins, cyprinids and gymnotiformes) are particularly susceptible to salt even in very low concentrations. Even Innes noted that Corydoras died very quickly when salt was added to their tank. Perciformes (cichlids) tend to tolerate higher salt levels since they had marine ancestors.

Don't count on old aquarium literature on this one. Plenty of studies have been done by actual scientists for the aquaculture industry.
-Shane
I agree completely. I never use it, but would for the very narrow purposes mentioned in Shane's post.

Last edited:

Decker504

Members
I agree completely. I never use it, but would for the very narrow purposes mentioned in Shane's post.

I always use it, extra when fish are recovering from something and I NEVER get ich and my fish are EXTREMELY healthy!!!

Sent from my DROID3 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

hotwingz

Members
Ya ive always been told to use a little. Ive never used as much as the box said to except when the tanks were new. But thats why i was wondering, most fish kept arent recieving any natural salts. But im not a chemist so being told they need a small amount for the water to be healthy along with their slime coats was good enough for me. But i was always wondering because ive been told by nomore than An advanced amature, which was told to them by some else who only knows what boxes say.

hotwingz

Members
Ya i would agree thank you. I dont think ill use it for more then healing purposes!

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've used salt...and not used salt...and I honestly can't tell the difference.

For help with healing wounds and the like, I'm a big fan of Melafix (and clean water of course).

Is there anything to the use of salt as an ick prevention measure? Sometimes fish that have been through big temperature swings (e.g. bought from an auction) are stressed and susceptible to ick. I've used a handful or two of salt as a preventative measure in the past (especially with scaleless fish that I really don't want to get ick). Anything to this (or would Aquarisol or the like be better)?

Matt

Matt

BevN

Members
I only use it for medicinal purposes. I've used it on altums (which I was told you can never do, people are so silly when it comes to altums), uaru fernandezyepsi, and a multitude of wild imports but only when needed and most recently on a poor female lyonsi after the male went homicidal. She has made a full recovery.

Then again I'm old school and think less is more.

I only use it for medicinal purposes. I've used it on altums (which I was told you can never do, people are so silly when it comes to altums), uaru fernandezyepsi, and a multitude of wild imports but only when needed and most recently on a poor female lyonsi after the male went homicidal. She has made a full recovery.

Then again I'm old school and think less is more.

They don't need it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wlsgmfr123

Members
It really depends on You.

If you like to use some, it will help scientifically, but you do not have to use.

It is Your choice

Just like either drinking a cup of orange juice in the morning or not.

It helps you, but you don't have to drink.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm sorry but that makes no sense (beyond the placebo effect)...

Matt

It really depends on You.

If you like to use some, it will help scientifically, but you do not have to use.

It is Your choice

Just like either drinking a cup of orange juice in the morning or not.

It helps you, but you don't have to drink.