• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fatal Attraction Program

mscichlid

Founder
I have just recently started watching this series on animal planet and I am amazed and terrified at what people subject themselves and their families too.

Notebably, is the one where a woman got one of the most highly venemous snakes in the world because she felt that she was immune to the venom. She previouly had had two dry bites from the rattlesnakes and felt she was safe.

Then are the ones with the tigers...

The one I'm watching now is about chimps that ate people's faces of and started eating them.

Do you know anyone who keeps dangerous animals like say lionefish or venemous animals?

Travis

Members
I had a lionfish (Dendrochirus brachypterus) and would not classify them as lethal. It never stung me, but I have read that it is of similar pain as a bee sting.

On the other hand, there are people that keep blue ring octopus...

I have kept several species of lionfish over the years and been stung by a large volitans once. It's a little different with lionfish compared to say a venomous snake as the snake can attack with it's venom while the lions venom is a passive defence (you have to impale yourself on the fish). Needless to say I did it once while cleaning the tank and not paying attention. It feels like a burning sensation in your muscle and lasts for a lot longer than a bee sting. If you were allergic to the venom I am betting it is much worse.

Still I think that people that keep large exotics as pets are just asking for trouble. If you want something exotic why not just a nice safe cichlid?

Andy

creepyoldguy

Members
I keep a freshwater ray and plan on obtaining more. Their stinger is also a defenseive mechanism. I have moved it several times and have yet to see it attempt to use it. I hear that the sting is very very painful but only deadly or dangerous if you have an allergic reaction.

BIG_Z

Members
Backed out of a good deal on a Deathstalker when I had an epiphany moment of "why the hell do I want this in my house "..well she had that moment first and then helped me find it lol. I see the desire to have something that can potentially hurt you but all I can say is if you have kids or plan to have kids in your house don’t ..Would suck for someone else to get hurt/killed because you wanted a pet that no one else has.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I KNEW A GUY IN COLLEGE THAT LOVED SNAKE. HE KEPT A BABY RATTLER( POISON IS MORE POTENT THEN A ADULTS) IN A CAGE IN HIS ROOM. WELL ONE NIGHT HE HAD A PARTY AND IT GOT LOOSE. HAVE NEVER SEEN A HOUSE CLEAR SO FAST WITHOUT A FIRE OR POLICE LOL. IT TOOK HIM ALMOST A WEEK TO FIND IT.HE HAD A NICE EARFULL FROM HIS ROOMMATES AND HAD TO SELL IT. IF YOUR GONNA HAVE JUST BE RESPONSIBLE AND REMEMBER TO RESPECT IT.

verbal

CCA Members
I keep a freshwater ray and plan on obtaining more. Their stinger is also a defenseive mechanism. I have moved it several times and have yet to see it attempt to use it. I hear that the sting is very very painful but only deadly or dangerous if you have an allergic reaction.

I read an article that said that the natives in the Amazon are more concerned with stingrays than piranha. However it seems like something that can be safely housed in captivity with a little bit of care(not too different from a lionfish). I definitely see the appeal of rays and would be tempted if I had an appropriate tank.

minifoot77

Members
when i first moved out to maryland i brought two pacific coast rattle snakes with me both were wild caught then my little girl came along and i didn't feel safe keeping them around... Those of you who know my daughter can only imagine why :)

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

Cartel

Members
There is nothing out there that interest me an would be considered dangerous. Not that I'm scared of keeping exotic creatures just don't find anything I'm interested in.

minifoot77

Members
Of course, but did you dispose of them properly...like with a hatchet? :)

nope sorry i traded them for a potentially 10 foot constrictor :)

HE KEPT A BABY RATTLER( POISON IS MORE POTENT THEN A ADULTS)

ok q you know "your my boy bloo" but your knowledge is askew baby rattlesnakes are just as poisonous as adults and adults carry more venom.... the danger in a baby rattler is they can not control their venom they give you everything they got where as an adult will control how much venom they let go so they can still hunt later it does take a while to make more :)

creepyoldguy

Members
I read an article that said that the natives in the Amazon are more concerned with stingrays than piranha. However it seems like something that can be safely housed in captivity with a little bit of care(not too different from a lionfish). I definitely see the appeal of rays and would be tempted if I had an appropriate tank.

I believe the most common sting comes from a person wading through the water and stepping on the ray, scaring them, which would cause them to sting.

Rays are amazing to watch and have a personality to match!

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
nope sorry i traded them for a potentially 10 foot constrictor :)

ok q you know "your my boy bloo" but your knowledge is askew baby rattlesnakes are just as poisonous as adults and adults carry more venom.... the danger in a baby rattler is they can not control their venom they give you everything they got where as an adult will control how much venom they let go so they can still hunt later it does take a while to make more :)
CALEB THAT'S WHY YOU ARE MY BUDDY CUZ YOU HELP KEEP ON POINT. THANKS BRO CUZ THAT EXPLANATION MAKES A LOT OF SENSE.

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
I'm a bit obsessed with this show. The season premier is Friday, Feb 18th at 9pm. I think the episode that has stuck in my mind the most if of the guy who kept a group of 4-6 monitors. Instead of keeping them in enclosures, they had free roam of the apartment. He kept the apartment's temperature and humidity up for the monitors to live happily and healthily. He got a scratch from one of them and because of the high temps and humidity in the apartment it became badly infected. He died of infection without anyone knowing for five days. The police found him.

I don't think exotic necessarily means dangerous. A dog can be potentially dangerous. I think people just really need to do their research and be fully aware of any and all consequences of owning any animal. Knowledgeable handling is a must, but even venom milkers who have been doing it for 30yrs get bit.

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
When I lived in Arkansas I had one of the areas largest drug dealers a couple houses down. We lived in a subdivision out in the country so there were no ordinances out there. This fool had a couple large pens in his backyard, one with a cougar, the other with 2 female lions!!! He had a cute lion cub in the house like it was a regular household cat. It was cute but when it tried to play it wasn't fun. Eventually the cub outgrew the house but it was still very small, he had the two pens connected by then so the cougar was with the lions. He put the cub in there and the cougar went for it, it didn't have a chance. He went into the cage one day showing off and the cougar grabbed his arm, it didn't bite him but it showed him he wasn't the boss... A week later his pens were empty and a farmer found 3 burned unfamiliar looking carcasses in a ditch beside one of his fields. Everyone knew who had them but as usual, no arrest was made... I'm still surprised they didn't kill him, I was sure they'd attack him at some point. The noise that cougar made was the most intimidating sound I've ever heard!!!

minifoot77

Members
i've heard that noise in the wild mikey and i will totally agree with you its nasty :)

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
Alex was it's name... And she was one nasty lil kittie!!! I can't imagine hearing that out in the woods, I'd have a heart attack for sure!!!

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Female bobcat at her time of year in the middle of the night...

...takes the prize. Sounds like diabolically protracted and agonizing murder. Any sound from a big cat at night, however slight (like a leopard's rumbly/raspy purr), is somewhat terrifying, especially if you happen to be alone, but the former is almost paralyzing - real horror-show confirmed atheists praying to Geezis linebackers calling for Mommy material.

PS - Monitors typically hunt by biting their prey and then running away and letting the bacteria do their work. Very patient, arguably cowardly but certifiably efficient hunting strategy. Was a species of monitor in excess of 10 meters in length that inhabited Southern Africa 30,000 years ago, very much contemporaneous with 'modern' humans. Think about that on your next moonlight walk.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Komodo

Relax -you have a daughter cute as a peach - If she takes after her father how much more excitement are you going to need?:D