• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

EXPERIENCE with T5 Bulbs

skanda

Members
Hello everyone,

I have a Aqueon 48" T5 double light fixture with a 10000K colormax bulb and 6500K white light. Recently , both bulbs were burnt and I am thinking of replacing them with some new T5s. I have african cichlids with java ferns in 75 Gallon tank. I like to know your experience with using ZOOMED T5 bulbs. What T5 bulbs bring out the best color in African cichlids ? Actinic, Colormax, corallife?? What combination? ONe red/Blue and one white?
Any advice would help

Thanks

olzkool

Members
I have tried many different combos, and for my fish, I prefer a 50/50 mix of 10000k and Actinic in a 2 bulb light. In my 4 bulbs I am running 1 Actinic, 1 Pink, and 2 10000k. It also depends a lot on what species you have, and what colors you are trying to bring out. Some light will really bring out color while others will wash them out. I do not have plants in any of my tanks, and that makes for a whole different story.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
I use two 6500, one colormax, and one 10,000K in my 65 gallon planted. The 6500 by themselves are on the yellow side. The 10,000 is on the white/blue side of things. The colormax bring thing back to the middle.

Blaise

I should point out that the Aqueon low profile T5's are NO T5 lamps (28 watt) and the Zoomed lamps are HO T5 (54 watt).

I know the ballast will ignite the HO T5 lamps but they will run hotter and will likely melt the lens on the fixture around the lamp filaments.

I would only recommend using NO T5 lamps.

Andy