• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

ex-Cichlasoma Pearsei

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
First of all, what's the deal with the genus ex-cichlasoma? Were the fish removed from the genus, but not attributed to something else? Some places list these as herichthys, but the genus reclassification is so muddled I don't know what to believe (because unlike popular opinion, not everything on the internet is actually true).

Anyways, I ended up bringing home a bag of these from Aquamania by a random stroke of luck. They were donated by Cichlids of America, so I know they are quality fish. After I put them in my styro, Andrewtfw laughed and said, 'You do realize they can grow to 18" right?' Of course I did, wouldn't have picked them up otherwise.:lol:

Currently they're in a 20g QT tank, awaiting a larger growout tank, that I suspect they may need tomorrow. How fast do these guys grow? They're currently 2", but being vegetarian, I wasn't sure if they grew like typical CAs.

In the long run, they're going to have to go in a 180 if I keep them, so I'm soliciting advice on what to build around them if thats the case. I have a feeling even this is minimal, but I won't have anything bigger in the near future. Anyone currently keeping them? Have any pictures or tips for tank setup? I'm guessing they'll eat plants, but I have no idea what their typical biotope is.

I'd like to keep them with other cichlids as possible. Would firemouths or green terrors work? I'd rather not keep anything else with them that gets too big and come home to an armageddon one day.

What about non-cichlid tankmates? I'm guessing tetras might get accidentally ingested if they swim too slow. What about rainbows or rasboras? Would cories or loaches be ok on the bottom?

Any advice is appreciated, even it's the Monty Python answer of 'Run away.'

Last edited:

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Cool fish Mikey. Wish I would have gotten those instead of the Amphilophus "amarillo" that Jon Clark put me up to, lol. Those guys are not gentle giants...

I'd think they'd be pretty cool with some of those XL mollies, since they're sort of from the same area, but sure rainbowfish, giant danios or barbs would be fine as well.

verbal

CCA Members
Cichlasoma is an old overly broad genera , similar to the way Haplochromis which was applied to pretty much any Victorian or non-Peacock/mbuna cichlid. However it looks like unlike say Thoricthys meeki it does not have a new genera that it is assigned to.

I think Green Terrors would probably be a good mix. Severums or Viejas could probably work also. Firemouths may work, but the size difference seems like a potential for problems, even if the pearsi isn't particularly predatory or aggressive.

rich_one

Members
If the pearsi are larger than the firemouths, it should work. Pearsi are pretty laid back, ime, but can hold their own, if they have to, except against the most feisty of CA cichlids.

-Rich

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Feed romaine when they get bigger. I've heard adults will go through a head or two a week. I'd stay away from any plants in the tank, as they will get shredded.

Any of the species you've named above will be decent tank mates. Take some pics as they grow.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Cool, all great advice, thanks. Interesting about the romaine.

I have a lot of research to based on the feedback. I like the idea of the mollies as a dither/livebearer, but I'll have to see what types might work. I've had problems with black mollies in the past because they seem to need brackish water, but I know there are a ton of varieties out there.

I like the idea of firemouths and green terrors, they're smaller and shouldn't bully the pearsei, but still look nice and hold their own. I'll have to research some of the other species, really know nothing of the vieja species or anything else. I'd like to do rainbows, loaches, and maybe barbs, but again more research needed.

Is it possible to get away with an unheated tank if the room is stable in the low 70s? just something I'm curious about, seems like heating the large tanks can get costly, at least compared to others.

So maybe sand and hardscape (rocks and driftwood)? Seems easy enough, I'm fine with avoiding plants unless I go the plastic route.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Michael,

I found that heating my 180 isn't really that hard and/or expensive. I actually unplugged one of my heaters this winter. The lights on the tank do a decent job trapping heat under my canopy, and the heaters barely run. Temps stay around 75.

I missed the vieja recommendation above. They are a crap shoot when it comes to personality. I've kept a few over the years, although I've not had one reach its full potential before selling it for one reason or another. Most that I have kept have been moderate aggression at best. Several have been downright mean. The pearei will be able to hang when they are bigger, but some of the smaller fish may get stressed.

Just a word of warning. They are beautiful, but they can be mean. I'm currently keeping melanurus and fenestratus cf. catamaco (or whatever they are called these days). None have gone crazy yet, but the biggest is only about 6" and not mature.

dogofwar

CCA Members
ex-Cichlasoma is currently a catch-all for all of the New World stuff that doesn't fit into other Genera... kind of a mixed bag of a SA and CA fish...

Pearsi are one of the fish that I've always wanted to keep but haven't yet. Gorgeous, not psycho aggressive and really interactive. I just don't have a few extra hundred gallons of water to house them!

Matt

blkmjk

Members
IME they are rough on each other. But are generally kind to others unless others are rude first.

Drew

NO GOOD DEED SHALL GO UNPUNISHED!

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Michael,

I found that heating my 180 isn't really that hard and/or expensive. I actually unplugged one of my heaters this winter. The lights on the tank do a decent job trapping heat under my canopy, and the heaters barely run. Temps stay around 75.

I missed the vieja recommendation above. They are a crap shoot when it comes to personality. I've kept a few over the years, although I've not had one reach its full potential before selling it for one reason or another. Most that I have kept have been moderate aggression at best. Several have been downright mean. The pearei will be able to hang when they are bigger, but some of the smaller fish may get stressed.

Just a word of warning. They are beautiful, but they can be mean. I'm currently keeping melanurus and fenestratus cf. catamaco (or whatever they are called these days). None have gone crazy yet, but the biggest is only about 6" and not mature.

I don't have a canopy on the 180, but do have glass lids. I'm just using a standard fluorescent fixture because I don't need anything fancy. I have a 300w and a 200w heater on opposite ends of the tank, only set to about 75, and it seems like one or both are constantly on. THe house is usually set at 70, but the tanks are in the basement, so ambient temp is 70 at best, except maybe in the summer. Maybe I'll only run the heaters in the colder months, but keep an eye on it in general. Thanks for the tips on the vieja, I think I might be better off not adding anything that gets to big. I think firemouths and GTs will stay small enough to not cause any trouble, but be big enough to not be swallowed.

ex-Cichlasoma is currently a catch-all for all of the New World stuff that doesn't fit into other Genera... kind of a mixed bag of a SA and CA fish...

Pearsi are one of the fish that I've always wanted to keep but haven't yet. Gorgeous, not psycho aggressive and really interactive. I just don't have a few extra hundred gallons of water to house them!

Matt

Thanks Matt. Is a 180 even too small long term? I may scrap the whole project if thats the case, I won't have anything bigger before I move, and that won't necessarily happen soon. I'm interested to do this, but not to the detriment of improperly housing them.

http://centralscenemagazine.blogspo...d-max=2013-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=6

You may find info in one of Lee Nuttalls online magazines. I believe he keeps Pearsei in one of his large display tanks.

Thanks, I'll have to check that out later.

IME they are rough on each other. But are generally kind to others unless others are rude first.
How are your peratheraps?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
So, this just popped into my head. Am I asking for trouble mixing herbivores with more herbivorous species? Will the pearsei ignore meaty foods if I give them enough veggies, or could the GTs and other cichlids be ok on an herbivore diet?

Just trying to figure out if it'd be easier just to do one cichlid and other community type stuff than mix fish with various dietary needs.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
So, this just popped into my head. Am I asking for trouble mixing herbivores with more herbivorous species? Will the pearsei ignore meaty foods if I give them enough veggies, or could the GTs and other cichlids be ok on an herbivore diet?

Just trying to figure out if it'd be easier just to do one cichlid and other community type stuff than mix fish with various dietary needs.

Like Africans (Tropheus specifically), pretty sure that a quality pellet solves all nutritional needs.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Nutritionally they will be fine with a quality pellet. I've never experienced a NW species that was particularly picky on foods when full grown. Most issues will come when they are young if you fill them full of high protien foods, and that is only with certain species. I don't think pearsei is like that. You hear about it a lot with beani and certain herichthys species.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Cool, thanks. Just trying to cover my bases to hopefully have better success. I've always been an NLS fan, so I'll use that, but also try to mix in more spirulina based food. I picked up spirulina flake and green supreme pellets from YourFishStuff, so that should make that doable.

blkmjk

Members
Quality pellets always work well. For those guys I give mine a frozen pea treat every two weeks. Celery leaves since I don't eat them and lettuce occasionally. The other fish don't touch the stuff unless by accident.

Get them some tank mates! When you set up the 180 of course. Paratheaps will work with them I keep a slew of those with mine. Post some pictures do we can see how the little guys are doing.

Drew

NO GOOD DEED SHALL GO UNPUNISHED!

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
First picture is of the 3 I have that came from Aquamania (Cichlids of the Americas). Keep in mind there are 3 in a large dip and pour container. Eventually these guys could be double the length of that same container.

Second picture is of the breeder's from Dan's site. Looking forward to these guys putting some size on.

IMG_0253_resized.jpg

pearsei.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
I like that pictures because it looks like they just knocked down the divider... gorgeous fish and look forward to seeing the ones you grow out, Mike!

Matt (who was hoping that no one wanted them and would be forced - forced - to buy the bag for like $5..although I have no where to put them ;))