• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Everything Died

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
No need...just drain and re-fill. I'd run a piece of Polyfilter to remove any residual ammonia or whatever that might remain...

A few months ago, one of my kids dropped an ant killer thing into one of my tanks. I did a big water change, added some Polyfilter to the filter and no losses.

Just test the tank with some hardy fish before you add more.

Did you also do water changes on your other tanks from the faucet / using the same process?

Matt

That was the only tank I cleaned yesterday. I was terrified that I might kill something else.

halkentjr

Members
+1 on keeping the sand,media,etc. seems unlikely there would be anything present that wouldn't be corrected by dilution.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
It would be really hard to do a 75% water change on a tank without splashing water into it.
Matt

When the siphon head has been pulled underwater for more than a few minutes, I have had instances in all three places I have lived in MoCo where the fish began gasping. This has only occurred during months with cold weather.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
When the siphon head has been pulled underwater for more than a few minutes, I have had instances in all three places I have lived in MoCo where the fish began gasping. This has only occurred during months with cold weather.

I have always left the siphon head in for the whole change ever since I started keeping fish and never had a problem with it.

blkmjk

Members
I would be lying if I said I never had something like this happen to me. 3 times I recall actually. Sorry for your losses.

Drew

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Sorry about the losses, Dan. With losses that quickly, I'd think it may have been something with the dechlorinator.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
oh man,I am so sorry! They are small potatoes, but I would be happy to donate new loaches when you restock :( What a shame. Don't lose hope, it has happened to all of us, but always hurts.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I built a side of the tank hanger for the hose I use to re-fill tanks. Pretty much ensures that water splashes into the tank...

What was the nature of the construction going on in the bathroom? Was the tank near it?

Sorry for the 20 questions in what must be a terrible time for you!

We've all been there. The good news is that you've got an empty 120g :)

Matt

I have always left the siphon head in for the whole change ever since I started keeping fish and never had a problem with it.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I built a side of the tank hanger for the hose I use to re-fill tanks. Pretty much ensures that water splashes into the tank...

What was the nature of the construction going on in the bathroom? Was the tank near it?

Sorry for the 20 questions in what must be a terrible time for you!

We've all been there. The good news is that you've got an empty 120g :)

Matt

The construction is pretty serious, it's getting completely re-done.

The bathroom is not that far away.

And I was going to wait untill they spawned but, the 120 now has my new salvini pair and a monster endii bichir along with my 1' chocolate cichlid.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Yeah, major bummer, Dan.

Definitely killed my share of fish in similar mysterious manners...