• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Eurobracing broken

STATMATT

Members
Well, it was time to fill my 150 today, and upon filling it was noted that the movers broke the eurobracing. it looks like one tried to pick up the aquarium by the center brace breaking it in the middle.

I filled the tank and the brace separated by about 3/4 of an inch. I drained 1/3 of the water from the tank and then now I'm trying to figure out what to do.

Any Suggestions?

mscichlid

Founder
you'll have to buy a new frame. go to your lfs and ask them to order it for you. pop the old one off and apply the new one. back in business

verbal

CCA Members
Isn't eurobracing a built-in brace on an acrylic tank?

I haven't done work with acrylic tanks, but from reading on I think you probably want to use something like Weld-on to fix the brace.

You might also try filing a claim with the movers and getting the repair done professionally.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Three simple options:

Recall the brace is only to lend structural integrity and keep the back and front panels from blowing out. That being said,

1) Drill one or two or a few small holes on each side of the break at least 1/2" back from the break. Use heavy wire to bind it back together or like stitching - just make sure the wire is really tight because it will assume the pressure that was formerly on the bracing;

2) Sister it - use one (or two) piece(s) of acrylic, metal or wood laid across the top (and/or bottom) of the brace to bridge the gap. Clamp, drill through both/all pieces and bolt them together;

3) Same as (2) above but use epoxy instead of bolts.

Any of these options will work 'swimmingly' and the aesthetics will depend on your skill and allegiance to same. Don't fret - when you're done it will be stronger than it was new and can be managed in a way that isn't even noticeable, particularly if you use option 2 or 3 and make the supports flush all the way to the front and back of the tank.

PS - Occurs to me that if they tried to lift the tank using the brace then the attachment points for the original brace may be compromised if it's a separate piece from the rest of the frame. I that is the case then on reflection I would get a piece of acrylic the same width as the original brace and simply cement it in right under and to the old one so that it reinforces the original attachments.

Last edited:

Plenipotentiary-at-large
I haven't done work with acrylic tanks, but from reading on I think you probably want to use something like Weld-on to fix the brace.

Not enough surface area for this to be a reliable fix. Just my opinion, but if the cement gives out the sudden movement is likely to blow the tank.

mscichlid

Founder
Erred. Should have read 'eurobracing'.

Yes, you could use Weld on 3. Get two pieces of acrylic and sandwich the broken piece.

Could you post a pic of the broken brace?

These folks could probably fix it for you.

6405 Ammendale Rd # A
Beltsville, MD 20705-1203
(301) 937-1317

Last edited:

minifoot77

Members
i have weld on 3 but is it a glass or acrylic tank? rimless euro glass tanks have "euro" bracing... SO WHAT MEDIUM ARE WE WORKING WITH?

STATMATT

Members
it is a glass tank. I think what I've decided to do is a combination of the above. The brace I'm talking about is connected to the black trim around the top of the tank. Its use is to hold up the glass lids in the center / and to keep the front and back from bowing out.

A coworker is bringing a thin piece of mohogany about three inches wide. We'll drain the tank completely clamp the wood to the plastic and then drill holes for both the wood and the brace. I'll then either wire it together as mentioned or put little polyethelyne bolts through the wood and remaining base.

Getting pics from my phone to the thread is a pain, and like most of you my phone is the only camera I use now.

STATMATT

Members
mschichlid I'd consider getting it fixed , but moving the tank takes 4 guys, a truck, etc... I could get it fixed and on the way back home my (legal imigrant) workers could break it again. so I'll opt for the redneck fix.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Whooza ya callin a radeneck?

I view simple elegant fixes as liberal in earnest. And I'd use real bolts. I'm guessing polyethylene has about zero sheer strength - I'd take a single 1/8" metal rod over a half dozen plastic ones any day.

Luck.

minifoot77

Members
the redneck has spoken....

it is a glass tank. I think what I've decided to do is a combination of the above. The brace I'm talking about is connected to the black trim around the top of the tank. Its use is to hold up the glass lids in the center / and to keep the front and back from bowing out.

this is not eurobracing... what size is the tank? 4' 5' or 6' ? our fearless leader franny b- the pike lover gave you the best advice yet the tops for regular tanks can be had at most lfs for under $25 and with the idea sam gave you of the sudden explosion of one or both sides of the tank would be enough to make me spend the little bit of cash to ensure the catastrophe waiting to happen would be fixed for good :) the attached image is euro bracing

T1.jpg