• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Electrical Current in the Water

YSS

Members
What is the best way to test whether there is electrical current in the water? I've been having random fish death for the last few days and I am suspecting electrical current in the water could be the issue. Also, does electrical current in the water kill fish? I am a bit puzzled...

Volt meter would work. If its enough current sticking your finger in would work also.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Volt meter would work. If its enough current sticking your finger in would work also.

I agree but being exposed to small amounts of current for a long period can mess with their internal organs and possible their lateral lines etc...(I think amps are worse than volts...(Dan you're the physics junkie lol) If it were a large body of water they could move away but in a tank they can't...
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Digital

Members
I think your breaker would be tripped if something shorted in your tank.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I don't think a small amount of current would undoubatably kill them all immediately. There are several factors that could determine the lethality. The volts and amperage would be two if its a continuous flow or only small zaps that cause the short which eliminates the flow. The amount of water could even be a factor. What do you think the source of the current is? A large heater would be much more catastrophic compared to a low voltage led light. Usually if there is a current "leak" even if its not causing a circuit to pop a gfi outlet would be tripped. Gfi are very sensitive much more so than a fuse in your panel. It is possible for there to be a problem without blowing a fuse. If you have a gfi in your house run an extention cord from your tank to the gfi if your house is grounded properly it should be able to tell you if a piece of equipment is malfunctioning. The only difinitive way would be to test the water with a meter.

Becca

Members
Well, yes, but it didn't kill me or the fish. That was my point, smarty pants :p

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JLW

CCA Members
Sometimes, you get minor shorts you cannot feel generally. If you have a small cut, you'll feel it instantly. Now, I am not recommending you get out the kitchen knife to test it .... :)

Where do you suspect the stray current is coming from? Not actually many sources that are likely. Sometimes lights will do it. Bad heaters.

If you're concerned, buy a grounding probe. They're less than $20.

JasonC

Members
But to answer the question, multi meter is best way.

Put multi meter on VAC setting closest to, but above 120 vac.

Black (common) probe goes into *NEUTRAL* in an outlet/powerstrip/extension cable *sharing the same circuit* as the suspect gear. (see attached diagram if you are unsure which is neutral)

Red (hot) probe (make sure it is plugged into the port marked for vac) goes in tank. if you read voltage, unplug a piece of gear and see if it changes the voltage leak levels.

Repeat til you find all offending gear.

I'll let those on the forum more familiar with the physiology of fish decide how much voltage is too much voltage.

NEMA_5-15R.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
Long time ago I had a tank with a shop light over it. The tank had a glass cover and pieces of wood to provide some space between the tank and the light.

Long story short, over some time one of the pieces of wood got saturated with water. I put my hand in the tank and I got the crap shocked out of me. The fish were fine.

Fish aren't grounded. People (who stick their hands in the tank with electricity flowing through it) are, which is why I got the jolt.

I've had powerheads and heaters leak a little electricity before. Usually a small split in the power cord or whatever. Just replace the offending device...

Matt

daninmd

Members
If the "water" shocked you..then it would be shocking the fish..

no, not true at all. you get shocked because you are grounded and putting your hand in the water will complete the "circuit" which will cause you to get shocked. its the same reason why squirrels and birds can run on live electric lines and not be electrocuted.

you can test your voltage in your tank using a volt meter. just put the black/negative terminal into the ground portion of an electrical socket and the red/positive into the tank.

small amounts of electrical current are always going to be present when you have electrical pumps/heaters etc running. larger amounts are an issue.

YSS

Members
Thanks, all. Looks like I will need to buy a volt meter. I suspect my heater as a source, but don't know for sure if there's any current in the tank. When I saw more dead fish yesterday morning, I put my hand in the water (first thing I do when I think something is going on with my tanks) and felt like there was electric current in the water. But I could be making it up. Anyhow, I unplugged the heater and no dead fish today.

So if fish doesn't feel the current in the water because they are not grounded, it still impacts fish enough to kill them? If the current kill my fish, wouldn't more fish be dead rather than just a few?

daninmd

Members
Thanks, all. Looks like I will need to buy a volt meter. I suspect my heater as a source, but don't know for sure if there's any current in the tank. When I saw more dead fish yesterday morning, I put my hand in the water (first thing I do when I think something is going on with my tanks) and felt like there was electric current in the water. But I could be making it up. Anyhow, I unplugged the heater and no dead fish today.

So if fish doesn't feel the current in the water because they are not grounded, it still impacts fish enough to kill them? If the current kill my fish, wouldn't more fish be dead rather than just a few?

do you put salt in your water? although they are not being electrocuted, there can still be a little current in the water which I am guessing would cause them issues with their lateral lines. their lateral lines are very sensitive to electrical fields. in my experience the biggest culprit of leaking voltage has been powerheads and secondly heaters. get the volt meter and plug in each one, one by one to see if there are any that get a big jump in amperage.

this is a much bigger issue in saltwater. stray voltage can be deadly in a saltwater tank due the conductivity of the water. I never put my hands in my saltwater tank with the powerheads or heaters running. to be safe, next time you decide to check for a shock, make sure you use the back of your hand and have your elbow on the edge of the tank. if you get electrocuted it will cause your arm muscles to contract which should make your hand leave the tank. don't just stick your arm in the tank. god forbid you have a major issue you wont be able to pull your arm out.