• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Ebjd tankmates

Leffler817

CCA Members
Perhaps a Geophagus or gymnogeo? For some dumb reason you can put red jewels with Jack Dempseys. As long as you have no problem going intercontinental. The red and blue would make for a colorful tank....

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

neut

Members
I've kept them before with a rotkeil severum, few red head geos, few congo tetras-- don't know about in a 55, but I've done it in a 75. I had two or three good sized but not bulky (Manzanita looking) pieces of driftwood, couple rocks, few floating plants, couple of rooted plants, all to create some structure in the tank, rather than just a single open space.

Made a nice tank, nice display, but since sevs and EBJDs can vary in temperament, it's one of those things that may not work for everyone... also, the rooted plants may or may not work with a sev, some of them really delight in destroying plants; so probably not with more delicate plants, but I had anubias. Still need to secure them well to hope to keep the sev from uprooting them all the time. Mine were rooted in driftwood pieces.

Last edited:

jonclark96

Past CCA President
No idea what a blockhead cichlid is. If you are referring to synspilum as the red head, I'd be careful. Ebjds should be the dominant fish in the tank, in my opinion. Synspilum can be pushy, and are certainly aggressive eaters.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I would not attempt anything in a tank as small & narrow as a 55GL for any length of time.....especially considering how much EBJD's cost!!!

neut

Members
What about one ebjd, one red head and a blockhead cichlid
Are you talking about a steatocranus? (I usually see them called buffalo heads.)

I've never kept them, but I've heard they're peaceful and knew someone (on a forum) who kept them with cyphotilapia. Couldn't tell how one would do with an EBJD or severum.