• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

EBJD and BN pleco with Ich

ccp2007

Members
I picked up 3 EBJD last week and 3 tiny BN plecos. All was fine until my hubby did a wc. The morning after I saw that they were all covered in Ich. I'm assuming temp change during wc caused it?

I raised temp and added aquarium salt slowly. (tsp every 3+ hours). I know EBJD are very sensitive and plecos are too. I have saved a knife fish and clown loach from Ich using salt and increased temp and in the past and those are VERY sensitive due to being scaless.

This is my first time owning EBJD. Did I do the correct thing by adding salt and increasing the temp? Is there something else I should do? I have increased oxygen and I'm about to do a gravel vac/water change. Wait it out with methods I'm using or do something different?

Happily married Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 15 gilled babies

Yes, most of us believe in the high temp plus salt method for ick. I have only had one real battle with ick myself. I did not lose any BNs in the tank. I'm not certain that aquarium salt is the right salt, though . . . I've used kosher salt in the past. Yes, definitely keep the oxygen up in the tank as the temperature gets higher.

I would assume the three new fish came in with ick rather than it being "caused" by a temperature change in the tankl Be sure not to cross contaminate with other tanks!! Good luck.

ccp2007

Members
Yes, most of us believe in the high temp plus salt method for ick. I have only had one real battle with ick myself. I did not lose any BNs in the tank. I'm not certain that aquarium salt is the right salt, though . . . I've used kosher salt in the past. Yes, definitely keep the oxygen up in the tank as the temperature gets higher.

I would assume the three new fish came in with ick rather than it being "caused" by a temperature change in the tankl Be sure not to cross contaminate with other tanks!! Good luck.

Ok, thank you. My fav BN pleco (my albino male) I guess couldn't take the water conditions or the Ich. I couldn't find him this morning. I just found him a little bit ago behind the aquarium. I guess he hopped out :( I finally got him to almost 3" and he was growing some awesome whiskers. R.I.P. Whisker Biscuit...

Happily married Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 15 gilled babies