• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Drip to Drain Systems

Jay

CCA Members
If you are planning to set up a drip to drain system please note the following.

Your incoming water should be as far away from your out going water drain line.

If your water contains chloramine it will make the main purpose for using a drip to drain system useless. Chloramine, unlike Chlorine is not easily broken down by carbon and will not dissipate through air-ration. As a result if you try to stickily use your drip to drain system to do water changes, over time the Cloramine will lead to a nitrate crash killing all you fish over night. What I do to get around this problem is to remove the amount of water I need to change by a pump first. Then add Aqua Science Ultimate Water Conditioner (or something similar) before adding fresh water. Fresh water can then be added through the drip system. Try to get you tank drips set so that the amount of water need to refill the tanks fills them all in about the same time. Once the tanks are full turn off the fresh water. Your overflow will handle a overrun; but, try to limit over runs as much as possible.

There is a filter system that also can remove Chloramine on the market. However, the slow amount of drip needed to use this system makes it hard to manage for any larger fish room. Fir me to use the filter type system I would need a huge water reserve to hold water dripped from multiple lines through separate filters. Not only is the water storage an issue; but, I then need also would need a pump to move the fresh water through your system. In addition the cost for replacement filters is likely to be more than using Ultimate Water Conditioner purchased in bulk from JEHMCO.

verbal

CCA Members
What about using a inline doser with dillute Prime or something similar to remove chloramine?

dogofwar

CCA Members
While I've never had to deal with chloramine, I employ the KISS principle for my auto-water changing system: either add a little dechlor / water conditioner to each tank before the daily water change (I turned mine on via a faucet)...or pump from a source of water that has aged.

The auto-doser would work as well.

Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I think that Li has an auto doser on his set up. Pretty sure that he posted some pics on here at one point or another.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I believe chloramines are being used in MoCo. You may want to check with wssc.

Sent from my DROIDX

chris_todd

Members
Keep in mind that municipal water supply systems can change from chlorine to chloramines in a heartbeat and without notification. Buyer beware. I always assume my water has chloramines and use Prime with every water change.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app