• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Driftwood black moss?

MrSickLid

Members
I purchased a large piece of driftwood a while back. Suddenly out of nowhere there was a blackish mossy like substance growing on it. I just recently moved and had the piece sitting outside to dry and left it there for about three weeks. I then washed it with a brush and extreme hot water in hopes to have this disappear. But when I put the piece back in the water, not only did I have an issue of the piece not wanting to sink but I also noticed the blackish mossy like substance was still present.

My questions are. Has anyone else had this occur? Is it good or bad? What is it? Most importantly will this harm my fish?

Your help is much appreciated.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Hair algae

Google it - very common, generally harmless although it can choke plants and cause no end of consternation to human beings.

Hawkman2000

Members
Google it - very common, generally harmless although it can choke plants and cause no end of consternation to human beings.

LOL

I have heard it called black beard algae. I am told that the only way to kill it is by extreme heat or bleach. Superpetz had a few tanks that were loaded with it and the guy their told me that algaecides won't even work on it.

hotwingz

Members
I had some start growing in my tank and i guess it can be from nitrates or natrates one of the two and too much direct sunlight. I moved my tank out of the sun did large water change and added more carben to my filter and its slowly went away. I dont have anymore and plants or rocks, just the gravel. And my bristle nose and corys have seemed be eating it as it died!

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

londonloco

Members
I've had a piece of drift wood stored in my garage for over 2 years, bleached, soaked in prime and excel, and put back into a tank. Within days, the BBA was back. Hate the stuff.

MrSickLid

Members
I looked it up and "googled it" LOL and yes it is a pain. I just don't care about it and if it grows it grows. It's not gonna harm the fish so why worry. Plus it doesn't look all that bad. Now I don't have to go buy java moss and try to get it to grow. LOL Just kidding but idk I don't have time to deal with it now and that piece of wood cost me a bit of money so Imma just leave it for now. I'll post some pics of it and the tank soon.

samsmobb

Members
you can directly treat it in the tankl with hydrogen peroxide, it worked for me but usually it occurs with an inbalanace of co2, so either maybe too much light or nutrients but not enough co2 to compensate for it

hotwingz

Members
Ya adding co2 to mine helped. It looks like its trying to come back thou so i need to add more. And can you really just add peroxide to the water???

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App