• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Does anyone like Maryland?

wlsgmfr123

Members
Hello,

I just want to talk about Maryland where I am living now.

Setting up fish tanks and take care of those fish are my hobbies.

Feeling dissapointment at Maryland, I have been having troubles whenever

(yea, whenever is a perfect word) I try to get some new fish such as

shell dwellers, Julidochromis, Frontosa, South Aftican cichlids, and Crystal Red

shrimps. I cannot find them no where except on internet websites. And,

trading between people will be held in NY, CA, and TX only. I have found

some Julidochromis fortunatly, but that is an success out 100 fails.

Sorry, I just want to talk about it.

%C5%A9%B1%E2%BA%AF%C8%AF_8-8_049_wlsgmfr123.jpg

marge618

CCA member
Hi Jung, Have you posted a "wanted to buy" ad in the Marketplace on CCA forum? You should be able to locate many, if not all, of these: shell dwellers, Julidochromis, Frontosa, South Aftican cichlids, and Crystal Red shrimps from members. Also House of Tropicals in Glen Burnie MD is one of our CCA sponsors. http://www.houseoftropicals.net/ . You will probably find what you are looking for at HOT.

Also, check out Tropical Lagoon. (Saw in a post earlier on this forum that some of our members are going to meet there at noon tomorrow.)

"Tropical Lagoon Aquarium
9431 Georgia Avenue
Silver Spring, MD 20910-1435
Two blocks inside the beltway on Northbound Georgia Avenue in Silver Spring
http://www.tropicallagoon.com/directions/
Parking is in the County lot on the corner of GA and Seminary Road. The meters are free on Sunday."

Hope to see you at a CCA meeting soon.

Last edited:

WendyFish

Members
Most of the fish stores we visit are in Maryland, rather than VA, and it seems like a large part of the club hobbyists are there too! But as you note, I've done a fair amount of mail ordering. It's fine with me; the selection is good that way.

Nathan

Members
Between the 4 clubs in the md/dc/va area your good more most of the stuff you would want. The rest isnt hard to get people to order together to lower costs. Ricks in frederick is very hit and miss but they get some cool stuff in and always have interesting africans.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
The previous posts have hit most of the local stores left around. The unfortunate thing is that the local fish store is becoming extinct. The big box stores and the internet are just too hard for them to compete with. We have lost two great stores, Scales and Tropical Fish World, in the past few years.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I wouldn't be living in Maryland if I didn't like it. :p

Everything that you listed is being bred in the club or has been available through club group buys in the last month.

minifoot77

Members
i have three pearl occies or L. meleagris that i would like to get rid of :) three julie malerei and two bricardi....

rsretep

Members
I also have shellies (multifasciatus and similus) and julies (transcriptus bemba and dickfeldi)...
you are in the right place just need to ask and definitely come to a meeting i bet you are blown away CCA an absolutely awesome club

cholile

Members
The previous posts have hit most of the local stores left around. The unfortunate thing is that the local fish store is becoming extinct. The big box stores and the internet are just too hard for them to compete with. We have lost two great stores, Scales and Tropical Fish World, in the past few years.

I miss Scales tremendously. The other stores are all fine, but personally Scales was in a league of its own.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I agree about Scales...but if we want LFS to survive, we need to support them (monetarily that is) ;)

Maryland is head and shoulders better than most parts of the country...probably with the exception of Ohio / Michigan / Chicago...when it comes to the fish hobby. Great clubs...great fish people...lots of activities...fewer LFS but that's the trend overall.

Matt

I miss Scales tremendously. The other stores are all fine, but personally Scales was in a league of its own.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
As you have been informed, your search has just been half hearted or you would have found everything you wanted. As to your larger topic "does anyone like Maryland?" The answer should be a resounding yes - they love higer taxes, they love broken roads that even cost extra bucks to drive, they love being snowed in and earthquaked and blown away by tropical storms. They can endure withouit power for long stretches and love to prove it.

Yep, great place that Maryland, and all you want to do is find a fish - look a bit harder.

Hello,

I just want to talk about Maryland where I am living now.

Setting up fish tanks and take care of those fish are my hobbies.

Feeling dissapointment at Maryland, I have been having troubles whenever

(yea, whenever is a perfect word) I try to get some new fish such as

shell dwellers, Julidochromis, Frontosa, South Aftican cichlids, and Crystal Red

shrimps. I cannot find them no where except on internet websites. And,

trading between people will be held in NY, CA, and TX only. I have found

some Julidochromis fortunatly, but that is an success out 100 fails.

Sorry, I just want to talk about it.

%C5%A9%B1%E2%BA%AF%C8%AF_8-8_049_wlsgmfr123.jpg

minifoot77

Members
As you have been informed, your search has just been half hearted or you would have found everything you wanted. As to your larger topic "does anyone like Maryland?" The answer should be a resounding yes - they love higer taxes, they love broken roads that even cost extra bucks to drive, they love being snowed in and earthquaked and blown away by tropical storms. They can endure withouit power for long stretches and love to prove it.

Yep, great place that Maryland, and all you want to do is find a fish - look a bit harder.

lurker did you move yet?

Hawkman2000

Members
The problem with Maryland is that the power grid is horrible. Every time we have a storm, I see all sorts of reports of power outages all over maryland. Meanwhile in virginia, the lights are all on and my filters run non-stop.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
While many area lfs have gone under in the past five years, there are still more stores in the general area than can be found in some states overall. Rick's in Frederick and Exotic Aquatics (way up in Bmore) should be added to the list of stores worth checking in from time to time.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!

good old george! nice to see you :D

dadoc

Members
petsmart is getting frontosa, demasoni and Firecracker Tropheus Moori(also the yellow one) in nov. they are also getting some new south american

verbal

CCA Members
petsmart is getting frontosa, demasoni and Firecracker Tropheus Moori(also the yellow one) in nov. they are also getting some new south american

Shouldn't frontosa have a 6 foot tank? Or at the very least a 2 ft wide one? The biggest tank I see on the Petsmart web site is a 75.

I am a little surprised that Frontosas and tropheus can be produced in high enough numbers for petsmart.

marge618

CCA member

Hi George, Haven't heard from you for awhile. Are you still in Maryland? Noticed "They.." in your post, so think you may have already left us.