• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Do you think I can keep 3 12" bichirs in a 40B

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I am looking for folks who have experience keeping bichirs. I want to know if it would be possible to keep a Senegalus, albino Senegalus and a Gold Dust Palmas in a 40b. All three hit about 12" max.

definitly. Bichirs arent necessarily schooling fish but dont mind the company of others. the most ive kept was 8 bichirs (2 Senegal, 2 albino senegal, 1 ornate, 2 delhezi, and a palmas polli) in a 75 gallon tank. They were all happy, healthy, and fat. Most were between 8-12" except the ornate who was a little bigger than 12" i think.

I've recently been rebuilding my collection as i miss these awesome fish. I sold my last group to make room for other fish that were just plain dissappointing. Right now in the 75 i have 3 senegal, 1 ansorgii, and an ornate, and am looking for more.

So Yes, a 40B will be fine for these fish. Keep the water level a little low, and give them a little structure.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd say that a 40B is pretty small for a three 12" fish, even if they are long and thin. I'd think they'd be much happier in say a 75g.

My only experience with bichirs is with a couple of ornates, which I unsuccessfully tried to keep together in a 125g. Fighting dinosaurs. I ended up keeping one in the 125g (later in a 150g Rubbermaid stock tank as it grew to almost 20") and the other one in a 2'x2'x1' tank in my fishroom to eat excess fry...

Matt

msjinkzd

invert junkie
Ornates are more "aggressive" than most bichirs.

I think you should be fine. They will appreciate each other's company. They are not "active swimmers" except typically at feeding time.

Please make sure you have an extremely tight fitting lid with NO gaps.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Ornates are more "aggressive" than most bichirs.

I think you should be fine. They will appreciate each other's company. They are not "active swimmers" except typically at feeding time.

Please make sure you have an extremely tight fitting lid with NO gaps.

I will. I will have a canopy that made of approximately .25" glass. I may run a ac50 or a fluval 304 as a filter.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I think you could house them in a 40b but something with a 48X18 footprint would certainly be better. Small confinement usually results in atypical behaviors. I have an 8" ornate and a 6" Delhizi. The ornate bit off the tail of the Del when they were first introduced. Now they lay on top of each other a lot. I have heard of larger polys trying to eat smaller ones, but you should not have a problem with that.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
Usually if you stick with introducing them atsimilar sizes they do ok. I like to offer long, low driftwood and plants for them (willlow hygro is a good one, its taken up about 1/2 of my 230g and they love it) to hide out underneath. They are from slow moving, dark waters so are most comfortable in such.

Right now I have an ornate and 3 endlis. The species you are getting are much smaller so should do ok.