• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Do i really need to drop the money???

hotwingz

Members
Ok so i know you all praise the T5 set up and ive seen them and yes, they are very nice. And nicely expensive. Now i had the guy at the lfs tell me hed make me a deal and order me one for about $115! I know thats a great deal. But i can make a canapy with lots of lights in it. So my question is, is it really worth it!? Does it make enough difference to spend the money, or can i just light up my tank like a christmas tree?

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JLW

CCA Members
That'd depend. Why do you think you need the tank lit up so much?

The T5 generates more light for less electric, and gets more of that light into the tank. So, you'll pay more up front, yes, but over time, you'll use less electric. That means smaller bills, and will eventually pay for the light. Eventually. It depends on how much you pay for electric, how much you use the light, etc. (Ripping all the copper out of your house and replacing it with solid gold wiring would lower your bills and eventually pay for itself. In 30,000,000 years).

Personally, I don't know why anyone is talking about T5... Fluorescent is a dying technology, period. LED is the way to go. :-D No bulbs to change, ever. Five years plus on the unit. And negligible electric use. Win, Win, Win, Win.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
What you need is to learn how to do a little research...

...so you can answer some of these questions yourself and stop wasting time. :D

You might try this:http://www.kensfish.com/t-5-light-strips.html

If there's a better deal on a 48" T5 unit I'm sure I don't know what it is. As for LEDs, does anyone actually use them to grow freshwater plants?

Last edited:

hotwingz

Members
Ok. I figured yall would say spend the money ha. But how well do led's work on plants?

londonloco

Members
Your LFS can order you a cheap T5 fixture, but is that fixture HO or NO, what reflectors does it have, does that price include bulbs? covers? hanging brackets? legs? Cheap is not always the way to go.

I'm not sure LED's are the way to go just yet. I'm in the market for another fixture for a 20g long, and am finding that when using 3W LED's even the hard core salty guys have dimmers on their fixtures, most dim down to 30%-40%. The 1W LED fixtures don't do much for planted or saltwater tanks. And yes, people do use them on planted tanks, but most DIY them with 3W Cree's.

Google is your friend. I find in this hobby, do it right the first time, or you'll be redoing it again, and again.

Shane

Members
But how well do led's work on plants?

The ones regularly sold for aquarium lighting will not grow plants. There are LED systems that will grow plants.... but let me quote from an aquatic plant site (aquatic eden).

"So if you're a handy DIY type with a smaller tank or able to spend $1000 on a light fixture, LEDs will work just fine in a planted aquarium."

http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2009/09/led-planted-aquarium-lighting-part-1.html

I agree with Josh above that they are the future, but cost vs effectiveness is just not there yet for many aquarists.

-Shane

hotwingz

Members
Ya thats just it. Its not that i cant or wouldnt spring for it if it was truely better and worth it (i do have tax money coming back :D ) but i can make a light for a whole lot cheaper. And i can always replace the bulbs with better ones if needed.

Hawkman2000

Members
Here is a link to LEDs made for aquarium plants -

http://www.aquarayusa.com/grobeam.html

The rest of their products look pretty cool as well.

The cheapest and most effective way to do LED right now would proboble be with PAR38 LEDs. You can build your own setup with parts from HD and find a good price online for the bulbs. One thaought I had was if one could find some cheap pendant lights that PAR38 bulbs could fit in, a really cool hanging fixture could be built pretty easily. I have seen 6500k dimmable PAR38 LEDs for under 60$ each online. One every 2 or 3 feet along the tank would be awsome.

If you plan on going the T5 route, you might want to consider buying a plant grow light. I was looking for a 4 bulb, T5 light, 24 inch light fixture and they were so expensive. I went to a plant light website and got what I needed for $110 the shipped as opposed to a $300+ light. The only thing that was missing was the splash guard which was ok for me since I was planning to have the light 6 to 12 inches above the tank.

Arlene

londonloco

Members
The cheapest and most effective way to do LED right now would proboble be with PAR38 LEDs. You can build your own setup with parts from HD and find a good price online for the bulbs. One thaought I had was if one could find some cheap pendant lights that PAR38 bulbs could fit in, a really cool hanging fixture could be built pretty easily. I have seen 6500k dimmable PAR38 LEDs for under 60$ each online. One every 2 or 3 feet along the tank would be awsome.

Great lights, PAR30's would actually do on a shallow tank (like a 20g long). But, even with 60 degree optics, the spread of the light is limited, more like a spot light. I've seen pics on reefs, the shimmer rivals MH bulbs....

hotwingz

Members
Well this going on a 55 and the plants seem to be doing just fine in low crappy lighting that i have. But my thought and again correct me if I'm wrong...i was thinking to build a canapy with like18" shop light bars and putting "aquarium" bulbs in them and putting 4-6 strips. Then biulding it to be able to add more or change the type of fixtures that go in it. And do a reflective coat of something on the underside.

samsmobb

Members
The main thing for lighting is a GOOD reflector with appropriate amour of space between bulbs, the right angle as well, right wattage for your tank as well as right light spectrum 400s and some 600s and well the type of plants. Maybe give us your ideas for plants to see if you really even need lighting. Slowing growing plants in high light don't do well- grow algae on them

hotwingz

Members
I know its not a great picture and the kids wouldnt stop moving! But thats why we love them! And im not sure to be honest what the plants are. And im sure again im doing something wrong! Ha but the small one is a transplant run away that gets quite large. A fern of some kind. Then theres the grassy plant that doesnt do well if i dont use liquid ferts and then the tall plant in the back that grows like crazy and actually consists of about four stalks.uploadfromtaptalk1329807672761.jpg
Heres a little bit closer view. All the same plants just different sizes.uploadfromtaptalk1329807869169.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1329808115879.jpg
Only cause i could get him to sit still ;) plus hes one of my favorites. Social and active!

uploadfromtaptalk1329807672761.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1329807869169.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1329808115879.jpg

hotwingz

Members
Sorry it posted pics twice ha. Guess i havent mastered that yet lol.

hotwingz

Members
Ok so i was at lowes earlier. And they have a T5 fixture that holds two bulbs for 27 bucks! Now would be the same thing??? That question sounds dumb. The T5 is the bulb right??

verbal

CCA Members
Ok so i was at lowes earlier. And they have a T5 fixture that holds two bulbs for 27 bucks! Now would be the same thing??? That question sounds dumb. The T5 is the bulb right??

Those are T5 - the Normal Output(or High Efficency bulbs). You do NOT want to use the HO bulbs.

rich_one

Members
The use of the high output bulbs will push you into having to start dosing CO2 gas, wouldn't it? The whole "hi-tech" vs. "low tech" planted tank thing, right?

Of course, it is entirely possible I have no idea what I'm talking about.

-Rich

hotwingz

Members
Ok but is it necessary i use one bulb over the other. I know if i get a bulb from the hardware store itl give a yellowish apperance to the water. Dont want that but. I guess im sti just lost on the bulb thing. Never reallt worried about it. Always used what came with the light bars.