• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

DIY Tank Dividers

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Over the years, I've lost my share of female fish from breeding pairs due to aggression from the male. I have a few pairs of wild type convicts that I have been keeping separated, as each time I tried with "wedge in" type dividers, inevitably the one would get on the other side of the divider. I've constructed two 20H tanks with semi-permanent dividers. I purchased the clear corner guards from Home Depot (made to protect the corners of drywall from damage in a house). I cut them to fit the height of the tank, then cut the egg crate to fit the height and width of the tank. I used four pieces of the corner guard and essentially made a slot in the tank for the divider to fit into. The corner guards were adhered with aquarium silicone to the inside of the glass. So far, so good.

The last pic is my monster Rio Cabayo Siquia. By far, the meanest fish I have ever kept. He is in one tank with the female. The other tank houses a pair of wild Rio Panama siquia.

100_0372.jpg

100_0375.jpg

100_0374.jpg

chriscoli

Administrator
Nice! I tried this (without the corner guards) a few weeks ago in a tank... i just had egg crate wedged between some rocks. Not very successful....this would have worked much better.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've tried the wedge technique and the bracing with rocks technique. If the male is overly aggressive, or the female really is interested in the male, they both don't last long term. I also cracked a tank (see my thread about soaking carpet last year) with the wedge method. Won't do that again.

Over all cost was low. The corner guard was $3 for an 8 foot piece that was enough for 6 braces, so I needed two as there are 4 braces per tank. The egg crate runs about $12 for a 2 foot by 4 foot piece. Tube of caulk was $8. Total cost of $26 with left over caulk and egg crate.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Becca

Members
I've used this stuff on and off for years - definitely works for larger fish and is also a great lid to stop fish from jumping the tank (not so much for evaporation). It's really easy to trip with wire-cutters or scissors. Considering what it is, it should cost less, but it's still not too bad. I really like that you can cut it to a shape and it holds that shape (unlike pond netting, for instance).

I used a roll of the solid plastic fencing also found at home depot and hooks, will probably switch to the corner guard you show here, but with the fencing its much cheaper per divider, as for 75 gallon dividers you are able to cut the roll in half so one roll for like $18 makes as many as 24 dividers so less than $1 a divider cost for this piece, for the smaller tanks it would make just that much more and its as solid as the egg crate as a divider.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Got any pics, Rob? I think I know the fencing your are talking about, but having trouble picturing the hooks. The main reason I went with the permanent solution is that the Rio Panama male would push any other divider until he got on the other side to kill. I had him in a tank with another male on the other side of the divider and he would push between the divider and the glass until he got through. He's already killed that male and another female.

Fencing like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tenax-3-ft-x-15-ft-Black-Hardware-Net-751397/100384025#.UjkjcDTD9dg

I think I got a 3x25 foot roll though. Its really solid mesh, nothing a fish will likely bite through with any success

Shower hooks like these
http://www.bing.com/shopping/interdesign-powerlock-suction-hook-combo-of-4-clear/p/88830F2CD03A46C05012?q=shower+hooks+suction&lpf=0&lpq=shower%2bhooks%2bsuction&FORM=EGCA&lppc=16

I will try to get a picture tomorrow. I just alternate the direction each hook is holding but I am sure a really determined big male could get through it eventually, that's why I like your edging. Been toying with a small weighted PVC tube to wrap at the bottom of the mesh and another floating one on top, or a PVC square but the cost goes up dramatically.

Ading522

Members
In light of this topic,I decided to do one of my own today.. I do not keep big fish that would bump glass or dividers but this was primarily for growing out fry.. It was going in a 33 long in preparation for some fish I'm getting at aquafest! :) anyway..I used egg crate,a screen,zip ties and airline suction cups i had extra..total cost was less than $18 .. I may have enough material to make around 6-7 more.. Here are some pics..hopefully you'll get what i did. Lol.. Will be observing the water flow..but holes should be enough to keep out fry from crossing over and still be adequate for water flow..

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1382039175061.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1382039195081.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1382039207457.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1382039219475.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1382039231246.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1382039250070.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1382039262670.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1382039271670.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1382039290977.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1382039311103.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Looks good, Aldrich. My only warning would be at the perimeter, you would be surprised how many fish want to go from side to side just because they can.

Also be wary of wedging the divider between the glass panes. I cracked a tank doing that (although it was a 10 gallon with thin walls).

chriscoli

Administrator
I lost a comp when she tried to squeeze between the divider and tank wall. She got herself over to the side with the male by squeezing by (they are thin fish after all) but I'm guessing got chased, panicked, and got stuck on her way back.

Lesson learned. :(

Ading522

Members
Looks good, Aldrich. My only warning would be at the perimeter, you would be surprised how many fish want to go from side to side just because they can.

Also be wary of wedging the divider between the glass panes. I cracked a tank doing that (although it was a 10 gallon with thin walls).

thanks Jon! i actually cut it just as to sit "flush" with the glass, and used the airline suction cups to hold it in place.. like i said, its just for fry, so it doesnt need to be really strong.. :)

clearsky5

CCA Members
Jon:
the other thing I like about the clear room corner material, is "it is clear" so not too in your face, and I am sure it would be pretty easy to remove if you wanted to get the divider out at a later date...
I think this idea could be used for my matten filter preparation as well...
Now we want to cut the foam to make sure that it is snug between the glass walls, but this would be a way to insure it stays in place if you have obnoxious fish as well....
david

Jmoore

Members
A tiny bit at the bottom, but at the top it has a short wire that fits into the lid and goes goes a little bit down the trim, the wire is coated with black rubber so it blends in

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I do something similar to what Johnny described. I use PVC of half to 1 inch diameter. You can cut this to the height of the tank. IF you buy plastic clamps that fit inside the pipe you can use the clamps to hold the pipes where you want them in the tank. Use bigger pipe and bigger clamps for bigger fish. I sand down, rough up, one side of the pipe and use silicon (aquarium selant) glue to glue plastic canvas to the side of the pipe. I just cut it to fit the tank prior to gluing it to the pipes.
THe PVC and clamps are available at Lowes. The clamps are also more readily available at Sears. And the plastic canvas at WallMart and other places that sell cloth.