• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

DIY Acrylic Projects

STATMATT

Members
Has anyone in this club done a DIY acrylic project such as a sump / algae scrubber or an aquarium build.

I would like to do smaller projects, but haven't found anyone that has cell cast acrylic in the NOVA area. does anyone know where I can buy sheets of acrylic locally, or of any shops that I can browse for ideas?

Thanks
STATMATT

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Haven't, but got some great ideas off of this guy's site:

http://www.melevsreef.com/

He builds sumps for people, but very generous with plans and giving out information on DIY projects. When I was into reefing, I got my idea to put my return on a device called a SQWD, which alternates return flow from one outlet to another. Good dude.

For a sump, you can't beat a big Rubbermaid and a plastic drawer set from Target. I borrowed Charlie's plan for my 180. Currently filtering a heavilty stocked Malawi hap setup for under $100 worth of parts (plus an AC 110 for mechanical):

http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3621&highlight=sump+diy

Charlutz

Members
There's a place in Montgomery Co., MD that deals in acrylic. Not sure where or the name, but they are there. When I was doing a reef tank, I bought a skimmer that someone made for me and I'm sure he got his materials in MD. Sorry to not have more info, but keep looking...

Rasta Fish

Members
there use to be a guy in the club Juan he use to make Acrylic tanks cant remember his username or if he is still on here .
I have use cut acrylic sheet from Home Depot a regular glass tank and with Aquarium glue and make a sump not the best sump but it does the trick

mscichlid

Founder
Percision Plastics was in Rockville. I think they are in Beltsville Md now. You could have the materials shipped.

STATMATT

Members
yes, I could have them shipped, but I want to browse and ask questions, visually look at different things, compare price options and such. I'll look up those places, but I don't get on the MD side too often. I used to live 5 minutes from TAP Plastics, but at the time I only had room for a 35 gallon hex in my dormroom.

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
there use to be a guy in the club Juan he use to make Acrylic tanks cant remember his username or if he is still on here .
I have use cut acrylic sheet from Home Depot a regular glass tank and with Aquarium glue and make a sump not the best sump but it does the trick
I think this is who you are referring to thefishproject

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I think most places that deal in glass also do plastics. You could look them up and ask. There are quite a few around Dulles, which is where I live too.

George

Hawkman2000

Members
Go to Home Depot and get Lexan. Then Order the SOLVENT of the internet. I think its called Weld-on 3. Read up on lexan and Weld-On 3 and you will be good to go. My friends granpa makes all sorts of stuff out of lexan. He is almost 80 and says its easy.