• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Discus Tank... Work In Progress

rich_one

Members
Here is the eventual home of some of Hans discus... I do not take good pics... so, sorry in advance.

Starting to come together...

-Rich

Discus Tank Shot 1.jpg

Discus Tank Shot2.jpg

Another Tank Shot.jpg

Another Tank Shott 2.jpg

Driftwood Shot 1.jpg

Driftwood Shot 2.jpg

Filter Shot 1.jpg

Filter Shot 2.jpg

lonlangione

Members
If you are going bare bottom, did you paint or cover the underside / bottom of the tank? Fish do not like a clear bottom on the tank. Gives them a sense of nothing underneath them.

rich_one

Members
did not yet... but there is an opening that will allow me to slide in the sheet I plan to use... just have not gotten it yet... thanks for the tip, though!

-Rich

F8LBITE

Members
I know there's not much to it but you're definitely on the right track. When I was growing my discus out, I wished I would have gone bare bottom because it's SO much easier for WC's and feeding. Post pics when they are in there.

rich_one

Members
I know there's not much to it but you're definitely on the right track. When I was growing my discus out, I wished I would have gone bare bottom because it's SO much easier for WC's and feeding. Post pics when they are in there.
same here, my first time around. I think I am going to start with sub-adults though... some of the 4+ inche fish... unless I somehow get lucky enough to take advantage of his $150 jumbo special. doubt it though... so the 4" or 5" ones are my current targets.

-Rich

rich_one

Members
Try white or ecru for the bottom paint.
I don't think I want to paint it. there is a large whole in the center part of the stand, just underneath the tank. It is large enough for me to slide something underneath for the bottom. I was thinking of some sort of white or beige paper. my wife had an interesting idea, that I would never had thought of... she suggested I stuff a couple of our light colored, older sheets underneath, to create a sort of textured look... I might experiment with that and see how it comes off.

I have no idea how women come up with this stuff... LOL...

-Rich

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
On older thanks that I setup before I started painting the background blue/black, I use black construction paper. My sister is a teacher, so she gets me free rolls of "bulletin board background" paper. I usually crumble it up a bit before I tape it on to give it a bit of texture. You can do the same under the tank.

Simple, but looks pretty good for just being construction paper. :)