• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Discus gaurding eggs!

F8LBITE

Members
I just picked this Silver pigeon a couple weeks ago from a local guy and today she's guarding eggs on a piece of driftwood! The father is one of my Cobalts ive raised from 3.5 inches! Pretty cool I think, espicially if the fry survives! Sorry about the camera phone pics. Its weird how hybrids are so frowned upon in Africans but pretty accepted in the Discus world. I dont know what to think about it, what about you guys?

SU1HMDEzMzkuanBn.jpg

SU1HMDEzMzUuanBn.jpg

minifoot77

Members
i'm good with discus hybrids makes some pretty colorations and not really a hybrid since they are just color variations of the same species...

Jumbie

Members
Way to go bro!!!! Nice looking fish dude, did those Discus you got from me get along with your other fish?

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've actually never kept discus...but I think that they're beautiful fish. And getting them to breed is an accomplishment.

Whether they're hybrids or not is a subject of some controversy. Certainly at the time that fancy discus were developed, discus were described as multiple species... and it's not as if anyone working to develop fancy ones put maintaining species / variant "purity" ahead of developing the fish with the aesthetics that they desire (color, shape, etc.).

As frequently happens, there's now disagreement about the species status of the various discus types. Scientiests don't agree.

Whether retroactive un-hybridization (i.e. if the discus in fancy discus varieties are now technically a single species vs. 3-4 different species... as they were when they were developed) makes them OK with those who are "against" hybrids like flowerhorns and fancy peacock types, seems like a rationalization to me.

For the record, I'm for whatever fish - especially cichlids - that make you happy and want to participate in the hobby :)

Matt

i'm good with discus hybrids makes some pretty colorations and not really a hybrid since they are just color variations of the same species...

F8LBITE

Members
Way to go bro!!!! Nice looking fish dude, did those Discus you got from me get along with your other fish?

They got along alright but they werent getting much food cuz my big guys are hogs. I let them go to someone with smaller Discus and they are doing much better and getting lots of food now. I didnt want to stunt them and I think thats what would have happened if they stayed with my big boys.

F8LBITE

Members
I've actually never kept discus...but I think that they're beautiful fish. And getting them to breed is an accomplishment.

Whether they're hybrids or not is a subject of some controversy. Certainly at the time that fancy discus were developed, discus were described as multiple species... and it's not as if anyone working to develop fancy ones put maintaining species / variant "purity" ahead of developing the fish with the aesthetics that they desire (color, shape, etc.).

As frequently happens, there's now disagreement about the species status of the various discus types. Scientiests don't agree.

Whether retroactive un-hybridization (i.e. if the discus in fancy discus varieties are now technically a single species vs. 3-4 different species... as they were when they were developed) makes them OK with those who are "against" hybrids like flowerhorns and fancy peacock types, seems like a rationalization to me.

For the record, I'm for whatever fish - especially cichlids - that make you happy and want to participate in the hobby :)

Matt

Good points Matt, Ive read about both sides of the coin and I agree its touchy to alot of people. if they survive I would definitely make an effort to grow them out and see how they turn out but mostly likely wouldnt let them leave my house or of they did they would go to a friend who would know exactly where they came from.

F8LBITE

Members
thanks guys! I would also like to mention these guys are kept in 7.2 tap water without any other additives other than dechlor! I really recommend keeping discus to anyone that is willing to do waterchanges. They really arent hard to keep at all.

dogofwar

CCA Members
They're fancy discus man - it's not as if you're selling them as pure, wild-type fish... grow them out to see what they look like... but - if they look nice - I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to sell them as what they are (fancy discus)...

Matt

Good points Matt, Ive read about both sides of the coin and I agree its touchy to alot of people. if they survive I would definitely make an effort to grow them out and see how they turn out but mostly likely wouldnt let them leave my house or of they did they would go to a friend who would know exactly where they came from.

YSS

Members
Good going Jose, but discus will never successfully raise fry in a community tank, in my experience. I've had many many spawns in my tank, but the parents were never able to raise the fry. If you want to breed discus, you will have to get a separate tank for a pair. I currently have a pair that spawn every week, but no luck.