• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Discus from a Local Breeder

Ading522

Members
Very nice fish.. Would love to get some of them in the future.. Not now..hehe..aren't they hard to keep?

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

frankoq

Members
I keep hearing they are treated as any other fish and I also hear they need daily water changes.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I keep hearing they are treated as any other fish and I also hear they need daily water changes.

Domestic discus fall somewhere in between imo. Their genetic stock and conditioning when you get them plays a major role for sure.

Rasta Fish

Members
I treat mine like any other expensive fish
I don't do crazy water change like most folks because i dont feed mine any beefheart food, black work more of a treat for them than daily feedings
I convert mine to start eating pellets and flakes may grow a little slower but it helps with water condition also helps in the pockets
if you feed meat base food daily then yes you will need to do lots of water change to keep the water clean

frankoq

Members
I don't do crazy water change like most folks because i dont feed mine any beefheart food, black work more of a treat for them than daily feedings
I convert mine to start eating pellets and flakes may grow a little slower but it helps with water condition also helps in the pockets
if you feed meat base food daily then yes you will need to do lots of water change to keep the water clean

Thanks for the comments.
One crazy idea I have is to switch from Cichlids to Discus.

rich_one

Members
Just so you know... discus are cichlids.

-Rich

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Greengirl

Members
YSS are you offering to pick some up for us to pay you at the meeting coming up? Because I'd be in if that is what you are doing... :)

YSS

Members
YSS are you offering to pick some up for us to pay you at the meeting coming up? Because I'd be in if that is what you are doing... :)

Ha ha, no. :) If not this time, he has about 100 half dollar size discus growing out.

YSS

Members

Discus are more fragile than any other fish I have kept. I used to feed all kinds of crazy food and do water changes every other day. But now, I feed flakes and pellets and change water once a week. Starting out with healthy stock is critical for discus. More so than other fish I have kept over the years.

frankoq

Members
Sounds like a good topic for a future monthly meeting. I'd love to hear more about keeping discus and then maybe do the jump.