• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Dialogue between Petco customer and emplyee

Customer: my daughter won 3 goldfish at the carnival what type if bowl do I need to keep them in

Employee: how long do you want them to live?

Customer daughter: forever

Employee: well since they could possibly grow out to a foot a piece you are going to need a tank

Customer: are you serious what size tank, how much money???

Employees: you are going to need at least a 29 gal

Customer at counter: I can't believe this 3 carnival gold fish and I end up spending almost $80. I can't believe this for carnival fish

Me: I guess Petco employees working all commission now a days

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Hey I will say
There are young fish enthusiast who need employment to pay for school or cant get employment else where and are doing the right thing (29 is still too small dep on goldfish)

Or who ever, retirees, etc...there is still hope out there

mchambers

Former CCA member
I'm confused. What do you think the employee should have said? A 29 is, if anything, on the small side for goldfish. At least the employee did not try to sell a 10 gallon.

Jeff721

Members
I think that if it was an educated employee as it sounds like, then they were on the right track. They probably new that the "parent" wasn't going to cough up the dough for a "proper sized" tank, and a 29 gallon is a good place to start and probably as big as he or she knew they could sell to the customer. Question is did they get a good filter too? :p

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I'm just happy he didn't offer a bowl
I wasn't there don't know the details or if they got a filter etc
just pointing out working for big-aqua doesn't mean your uneducated or a sell out, or just planole don't care...

Jeff721

Members
I'm just happy he didn't offer a bowl
I wasn't there don't know the details or if they got a filter etc
just pointing out working for big-aqua doesn't mean your uneducated or a sell out, or just planole don't care...

I agree. Sometimes its the quickest way to influence and reach the general public. I would argue that you could make a bigger impact on the proper care of fish there than you could in your own basement or large scale greenhouse.

JLW

CCA Members
I agree -- with the limitations of the sales position, that's a pretty good conversation to have. Admittedly, a 75-gallon would be better, but ... I would never try selling a 75-gallon to some one with three goldfish their kid just won at the carnival. (Plus, we all KNOW that the 3 little goldfish in that tank will become 3 goldfish, 18 tetras, 2 oscars, and a pleco soon enough, because a 75 would look stupid with 3 small goldfish -- even if it is what they eventually need). The 29 is a good balance for those fish, given their immediate and near-term needs.