• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Felipe Castellanos

CCA Members
I am looking for a de-wormer to keep on hand for my new QT tank, because I have heard that you should always treat quarantine fish with de-wormer. Which de-wormer would you recommend and where could I get it?

Thank You,
Felipe Castellanos

chriscoli

Administrator
I personally like levamisole HCL. I buy a packet of cattle/goat de-wormer powder (Prohibit) on Amazon and it lasts me a while. There are some recipes out there that tell you to use up to 5 mg/ml but I find that to be too rough on my fish and I had more losses at that dose. I now use 2 mg/ml. If you use levamisole HCL, you need to adjust the grams used just a little since it doesn't contain 100% levamisole activity. I like the description at loaches.com (link below). I've also found that levamisole is pretty hard on some fish. In my experience tangs...specifically Julidichromis, don't tolerate it well, so keep an eye on them when dosing.

Also, since it's a pretty rough treatment, I don't automatically treat everything. I like to dose as needed. Once in the past, I suspected multiple tanks were having problems so I dosed the entire fishroom. I noticed afterward that nothing spawned for quite a while.

http://www.loaches.com/disease-treatment/levamisole-hydrochloride-1

JLW

CCA Members
I use Safeguard for Goats. It's dosed at about a drop per gallon, and its cheap -- I can pick it up at Tractor Supply or any other similar store. It tends to be a little more benign than other stuff. It does turn your water really cloudy.