• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

D. maculatus spawn!!!

Becca

Members
Well I'll be... no sooner do I decide my female checkerboard is NOT a maculatus than the pair goes and spawns. My female is guarding eggs :D.

She's a little unprofessional about it, so I don't know if they'll last - as in "I'm guarding eggs, but oh, did you walk up to the tank, are we getting fed?"

I feel like I should check my water parameters to see what's up, but I'm scared to even touch the tank.

It only looks to be a couple dozen, but they're hard to see. She placed them on a leaf of the tall sword plant in my tank.

The tank has other inhabitants - 4 chocolate gouramis, 2 apistos, 6 emperor tetras, 3 purple corys, and 4 amano shrimp. They are high enough that the corys hopefully won't bother them.

Becca

Members
Congrats! Pics?

I wish - I can BARELY see them with my bare eye and I am terrible at taking photos of fish. If I tilt my head at just the right angle I can see little yellowish bumps on a light green leaf.

If I get any fry out of this batch, Arlene, you'll be the first to know!!!

Becca

Members
Ok, so she's still guarding something, but I have no idea what... LOL. Maybe she'll get a little better at this with experience, or maybe the eggs hatched and she moved the fry... No clue.

Becca

Members
Well, the bad news is she seems to have given up guarding... the good news is that I was out looking at the whiskey barrel yesterday and noticed some itty bitty Tanichthys albonubes fry swimming around in there!

Hopefully the D. macs will get the hang of it and this will just be the first attempt of many. I might try swapping out the emperor tetras in there for something a little more timid. They are fast and bold... in fact, they bite my arm when I'm working in the tank and it actually hurts.

Becca,

I would love to get some white clouds from you at the next meeting or Aquafest after that if next meeting is too soon.

Thanks
Rob

Becca

Members
Becca,

I would love to get some white clouds from you at the next meeting or Aquafest after that if next meeting is too soon.

Thanks
Rob

I'll have to see how fast they grow, but I'd be happy to oblige. I think Aquafest is out because I'm in a wedding that weekend.

I literally put them in a bucket and they made babies - almost as easy as hamsters.

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
Congrats on the spawns, Becca!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App