• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cycling My 37 Gallon Cichlid Tank

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Do you have any other established tanks? If so, just pull some filters/media and put it on the new tank. Instant biological filtration in place. The bacteria will spread in no time. If have set up a dozen tanks like this and put fish in the same day with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Austin -- there is lots of information on cycling tanks on the Internet. You might want to do some research and then seek advice here on your preferred approach. From your question, I'm assuming you don't have currently running tanks so Jon's suggestion, while good, probably won't help you much.

I have personally had success with Dr. Tim's One and Only in conjunction with very light stocking and close monitoring.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
S'easy

1) Find another aquarium that appears to be free of disease/contains apparently healthy fish;
2) Squeeze out all/some of the crap in that tank's filter media into a plastic bag containing some tank water;
3) Dump it in your tank;
4) Turn on your filter(s).

You're done. In a few days the bacteria transferred from the established tank will have colonized yours, more so if you feed them (grind up a couple pinches of flake food and put it in the tank). Don't sweat the aspect of dumping brown gunk in your tank - most of it's already broken down and is basically just spent organic matter (read as dirt), the stain to the water will disappear almost immediately and what you're left with is an abundance of healthy denitrifying bacteria which make aquatic life in a box (and elsewhere) possible. If you want to spend your money on bacteria in a bottle, go for it, but there's nothing in there that isn't available for free elsewhere like on the 2-4 bunches of live plants you can buy for the price of freshwater elixir. A handful of leaves/detritus off the bottom of a pond will produce much the same result but might vector in some odd and potentially harmful pathogens/parasites - unlikely but possible.

There is no "cycling" a tank. What there is, is establishing a denitrification cycle with the appropriate bacteria that can be found almost anywhere an established freshwater ecosystem exists, domestic or otherwise. Additionally, almost anything from such an ecosystem will be coated in such bacteria be it plants, stones, wood, etc., the amount depending largely on the availability of suitable sites for bacteria to establish which is why foams and porous materials (charcoal/lava rock/ceramics) are utilized as filter media - more places for bacteria to live.

If you're using filter cartridges don't replace them - just rinse them if you must to maintain water flow through the filter as it's established bacterial colonies that make them perform best, not the worthless amounts of carbon that many contain and which cease to absorb anything in less than a week's time but do serve as pretty good bacterial sites if left alone.

Have fun.

MarkK

CCA Members
If you do not have access to an established aquarium to get some spent filter medium from, do you have a local fish store, perhaps the one where you purchased the tank and accessories? Ask them for a bag with a handful of aquarium gravel or some of their existing filter medium to use to seed yours.

The thing is that only enough denitrifying bacteria will be produced according to the amount of waste to process, which is why people recommend adding some extra waste (pinch of fish food) .

Plenipotentiary-at-large
And...

...use de-chlor when you fill the tank unless you're using rain, well, spring or stream water.

Jmty

Members
I got to say I LOVE AVATAR coments,he will explain in details ,good to read excellent writer hahah