• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cycle in time for 10/12 meeting?

TovMahal

Members
I really want to participate in the group buy from Dave's but i'm not surr if i can get the tank cycled in time.

If I can get around to setting my tank up the 28th, do you think there is any chance it would be cycled in time?

I can't do it this weekend b/c I'm in Florida helping father recover from back surgery.

I bought nutrafin cycle biological filter supplement and plan on adding carib sea instant tank tahitian moon gravel to start, but i know this is not so "instant" and that i need to actually cycle the tank. that is why I also bought ammonium chloride to ensure the bacteria had some food to grow.

Still, I don't want to mess up with my first tank, so that's why I'm here.

Any thoughts on whether I have a shot at getting it cycled in time?

Any thoughts on how can I speed this up?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

CCA Members
Borrow a sponge filter from another member... or add some media from an old filter to a new one... You'll be fine...

Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
If you can't find someone closer, pick up some AC70 sponges or a sponge filter and I'll trade you a seeded one for a new one. Instantly "cycled" tank. I set up 2 tanks this weekend by just taking extra filters from my existing tanks.

TovMahal

Members
Thank you, once definitely know when I can have the tank set up, I will take one of you up on the offer.

2 more questions:

It's a 75g with an AC110 and an xp3 filter.

How many 1-1.5" dwarf mbuna should I add at first, I was thinking 4 C. Afra and 8 P. saulosi, is that too much for an "instantly cycled" tank?

Should I add some BNs right away or can I hold off on adding bottom dwellers?

Thanks again

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
When you setup a tank there is normally a huge ammonia strike and that might kill your fish. If your using used gravel or used filter media you should be fine. Once your tank is setup frequently test it for ammonia.

I'm a big fan of Tetra's Safe Start as well, just as emergency back-up. I believe it uses the same formula as Dr. Tim's One and Only, which I was also a fan of.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Thank you, once definitely know when I can have the tank set up, I will take one of you up on the offer.

2 more questions:

It's a 75g with an AC110 and an xp3 filter.

How many 1-1.5" dwarf mbuna should I add at first, I was thinking 4 C. Afra and 8 P. saulosi, is that too much for an "instantly cycled" tank?

Should I add some BNs right away or can I hold off on adding bottom dwellers?

Thanks again

If you get a dirty AC110 sponge, you can add a ton right off the bat.

Properly rocked, I'd be comfortable with 4 decent-sized groups (8 adults ea) of dwarf mbuna.

If you have them, add the bristle nose now to get something going on in there.

zackcrack00

Members
I just set up my 75. I put two new AC110s on it and cleaned a sponge filter and my filter media from my other filters inside of the tank. I then, later that day, put 4 Labidochromis Caeruleus (Yellow Labs) in the tank. It cycled in about a week, I then removed the Labs and put 5 juvenile Demasoni and 7 juvenile M. Msobo, and a week later I put in 12 more demasoni, 6 full-grown M. mbenji, and 3 adult Ancistrus plecos. I do 2-75% water changes every week, and feed once a day at 3:00-3:15 (when I get home from school). The tank is doing awesome and I have already seen some breeding Coloration in 2 of may huge male Demasoni. Hope this helped!

CichlidOWNR

Members
To give you a barometer of number of dwarf fish, I have a 55 gal dwarf species tank with 30 fish. It is heavily stocked for the size but works (have multiple spawns recently). I have a 585gph canister, 2 Hydro III sponge filters and a sponge pre-filter on my under sand jet system. I do about 60 percent water changes each week.

My stock list is:
12 Ps. Saulosi
9 Iodotropheus Sprengarae
6 Syndontis Lucipinnis (dwarf petricola)
3 Ancistrus Triradiatus

These numbers will fluctuate once males mature and get removed.

Whatever you end up with make sure you have enough filtration (mechanical and biological) for your stock.

Ask questions, there are a lot of more knowledgeable and experienced users on this forum than I.

Again my tank is fairly heavily stocked and may not work for everyone.

Good luck and have fun stocking your tank.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App