• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

cutting egg crate?

bschuhart

Members
I bought a piece of egg crate to use as a tank divider. Can anyone give me some suggestions fro:

• What to use to cut it
  • How to measure the tank for best fit
Thanks

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I just bought another piece too. There is no easy way to cut it without making a mess. I use a sickle shaped tool for painting to chop through it. I have also used a large, dull knife. The little pieces go everywhere. As for measuring, I measure the tank dimensions and mark it out on the egg crate. That way I can cut smaller if it does not exactly fit.

D-money

Members
gardening shears work well but the little cut pieces do "fly" around. Be sure to wear eye protection.

dustin

Members
I use small wire cutters (snips). They work mint. No mess. Just make sure to get ones that'll fit between the blocks. Can't go wrong cutting it this way.

Dmhcichlids

Members
If you have access to a band saw it is the quickest way. Then use a smoothing bit to smooth edges. As for the measurement you will measure inside the tank and try to get as close as possible to the measurement on the egg crate since the squares are already pre measured on egg crate.

Jay

CCA Members
I bought a piece of egg crate to use as a tank divider. Can anyone give me some suggestions fro:

• What to use to cut it
  • How to measure the tank for best fit
Thanks
I use a special type of scissors I bought some time ago. You may be able to fine a good tool for this at Lowes or Home Depo. It is tough to cut these to an exact size. You can only usually cut them along the edge of a row. The small pieces between the rows break off and make a big mess. For this reason, I do not use these for tank dividers. I use them for lids on tanks that do not have any lids. You may be better buying an actual divider kit from That fish Place or other store. I you are using kits for larger fish, you can just use the clips; however, if you use a kit type for fry, you will need to glue them in to close all the tiny gaps along the edges and bottom to prevent fry from getting through.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I use some wire clippers and knock the remaining pieces off by hand...

I size so that I can wedge it into the tank..

Matt

Raven20

Members
Go to a craft shop and buy a hot knife....it looks like a screwdriver but it's electric...plug it in and the rod gets to about 400 degrees.....goes thru plastic like butter....20.00 bucks.....can't beat it....I used one to cut styrofoam for my rock background...

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Needle nose pliers. Grab the section you want to break off and twist.

Measure and cut the piece slightly larger and set the divider slightly diagonally (front to back) in the tank. Secure the bottom with rocks.