• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Current LED's...

Leffler817

CCA Members
They cost as much as the Aqueon version! But the Aqueon does not have the blue light favored by African Cichlid keepers. They did not have these available when I bought my light. : /
For that price, I'd give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JasonC

Members
And in a very timely manner, Kris W. just put up a favorable review (part 1 of 2) of this lights bigger brother. http://www.guitarfish.org/2013/05/2...ed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Guitarfish+(Guitarfish)

About half again as expensive...which, honestly, is a pretty good price. Comes with full RGB+W color mixing instead of 6500K + Actinic in the base model.

Think I may have to give these guys a try... waiting to see part 2 of his review though when he releases his findings on PAR levels for the light.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Anyone have any idea how this stacks up to the Marineland double-bright? I have a 48" one and love it... but it's $30 more expensive than the Current for the 48"-60" size.

The adjustable color thing is a definite plus. Sort of eliminates my concern over the spectrum matching my existing fixture (planning on staggering two 48" fixtures over a 125).

ezrk

Members
My gut feel is that these are not all that bright. The 48-60" version is only using 18w which is not that much LED for a 4 foot tank.

The same size double bright is 35w so this is probably not even as bright as that - though there are some other variables in play with LEDs.

Hawkman2000

Members
I've been looking at the Current Satelite Freshwater LED+. Much brighter and has a remote that lets you completely customize color and levels.

The one problem I have with most of the lights is that they give you all these options, a night/lunar mode, but no timer or even a way to hook one up. Very frustrating.

JLW

CCA Members
Ultimately, you're going to get what you pay for. You can find a lot of cheap, cheap LED lights on the market ... whether or not they're worth what you're paying is debatable.

There's not a lot of "brand recognition" out there for LEDs; no one is the "apple" of LEDs (i.e., making inferior products and stuffing a stupid logo on the side, then charging three times the price because people are willing to join the Cult...). So, if you find a light fixture for $300 and one for $150, the one with the lower price is cutting corners somewhere. It may have a bad power adapter which will last only a few months (LEDs run on DC), it might not be as bright, or....

Plenipotentiary-at-large
I am the walrus...

...no one is the "apple" of LEDs (i.e., making inferior products and stuffing a stupid logo on the side, then charging three times the price because people are willing to join the Cult...).

"Inferior products"? When everything else runs on an operating system that looks and acts like it was written by brain-damaged goats (to say nothing of a firewall that makes a mockery of the term) you call that "inferior"? Right. May as well drive a Yugo, eat exclusively at MickyD's and go home with anything on two legs.

I use Apples because anything else is too painful and life is just too short for self-abuse. Not sure how my willingness to pay a premium for that enrolls me in a cult but so be it - the aesthetics alone are worth the price of admission.