• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Craigslits - $150 FX5

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres

rich_one

Members
I love mine. And Fluval's customer service is flawless. I received a broken FX5 with a tank setup I recently acquired. On the motor, the warranty date is still printed. It was still under warranty. I detach the motor and send it in to them, and they sent me an entire, brand new unit, no charge.

If I don't do a sump on a big tank, the FX5 is the only canister for me.

-Rcih

toddnbecka

Members
Apparently the media loads up too quickly and the flow rate drops off, and something about not restarting after it purges. I have no personal experience with the filter, so I don't know whether it's a manufacturer or a user issue.

rich_one

Members
Well, for what it's worth, I've had my FX5 for over a year and a half, and I have had no such issues. I don't use the polishing pad any longer though... so maybe that is what slows some folks flow? I just leave the regular pads in there, and load it up with bio. Done.

-Rich

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I run mine the same at Rich. I could see if you were using the polishing pad how it would clog quickly. I would guess most FX5's are run on big tanks with big fish or lots of smaller ones. The fine pads would definitely need to be changed on a weekly basis.

No pads for me, just the coarse foam on the perimeter and tons of bio media.

I've never had an issue with restarts after purging.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Hey Jonclark, speaking of that, how's the fx5 u got from me? Ever do anything with it?

I filled it with bio media and put it to work. It still has a little buzz from the impeller but I just put a towel over it inside the tank stand and I can't hear it. I did pick up a spare impeller to have just in case.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I got an FX5 from Ali and it works great. I'm setting it up to power a dump filter for my 180 (basically a sump on top of the tank)...

Matt