• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cracked tank question

rich_one

Members
So a guy is selling a 300 gallon tank that is cracked and can only hold water about halfway up. I realize this question is probably too broad, so hopefully you all can help me feel my way through this. To the point, how difficult and/or expensive should I expect repairing it to be? Thanks!

-Rich

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Most folks say resealing a tank isn't that hard (I think Avatar even volunteered to reseal someone's tank during a meeting) but I would be nervous with a 300 gallon tank. That's a lot of water to put on the floor.

You may want to check with the guys at Stith Aquatics. They were one of the vendors at Catfish Convention and I think they make custom tanks. They may be able to give you a price to reseal it.

rich_one

Members
Thanks for the tip, Jon. I am getting more info on the tank, and once I have it, I'll check with those guys. Might already be doomed... it might be acrylic. In that case, I imagine its ruined... right?

-Rich

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Big difference

Re-caulking bad/leaking seals and dealing with cracked glass is not unlike the difference in dealing with a domestic vs. a feral animal - the former is generally inconsequential, the latter fraught with peril. Other than replacing the offending pane, the only other option is to cement a patch over the crack itself (on the INSIDE of the tank) and hope that it doesn't expand. One can drill tiny holes at the endpoints of the fracture to help prevent the crack from growing, but with a tank that large, the patch should ideally cover the entire panel and be caulked in as double interior wall so as to distribute the internal pressure. This is actually a lot easier and probably more reliable than basically attempting to dissect and rebuild the tank and it's likely no one would probably never notice that one end is thicker than the other unless they knew to look for it.

rich_one

Members
Thanks for that advice, Sam. If I can find a way to get this and make it suitable to be filled, I might hyperventilate! LOL... I've been trying to get a monster tank for a looonnggg time now, but unfortunately cannot spring for the $1000+ they typically are available for... here's to hoping!

-Rich

Thanks for that advice, Sam. If I can find a way to get this and make it suitable to be filled, I might hyperventilate! LOL... I've been trying to get a monster tank for a looonnggg time now, but unfortunately cannot spring for the $1000+ they typically are available for... here's to hoping!

-Rich

Rich, if this guy is in Fredericksburg he is my client. I have pictures of the tank and can show you how bad it is. It is currently only holding 40% water. Also moving the tank tmw at 3pm so if you want it we can have guys load it up for you.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
If it were me, I'd have it professionally repaired. Donking with a broken pane on a 20 gallon tank is one thing... 300 is somewhat frightening.

Still, will likely be much cheaper than buying a new tank.

Good luck.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
No donking

Have to agree with Tony - unless I had designs on using the tank as a terrarium or snake cage I wouldn't touch it unless maybe it was free or nearly so.

I think "donking" is my new favorite verb, as in "to donk": 1. To apply, attempt or assail with clumsy force; 2. to withstand or ignore logic or reason; 3. to embody or typify irrational stubbornness in the manner of a donkey; 4.Vulgar/slang- to mount in the manner of a barnyard animal.

rich_one

Members
Thanks, guys. I would never attempt to even repair a 55 gallon tank. IT and AV savvy, I am. "Handy", I ain't. I like to stay in my lane.

I am trying to get a rough estimate now on the repair of the tank. If it seems feasible and reasonable, then I'm in. If not, then I'm out. The repair must be professional and affordable, or I pass, and wait for the next opportunity, you know?

-Rich

Actually, maybe. going in another tank short term until I get things sorted out.

-Rich

Rich, after working on the tank today we had to move fast. Here are the pictures and like I said I dont feel comfortable doing it myself but willing to help you try with the trick I learned today but no guarantees it will work. Here are the pictures though.

9D2DAC5A-ECEA-4A15-B4C2-3B51B306D1A4-5977-000003B284853313.jpg

C4631C89-5EF8-4946-A6ED-966EA064FA71-5977-000003B281048F1D.jpg

Hawkman2000

Members
That's really bad.

You could take the panes and make a really nice plywood tank. That's what I would do. Would give you more options as well. You could wake it deeper and give it angled sides. Customized overflows. All sorts of stuff. Would take some time and labor though.

rich_one

Members
Thanks, Chris. I've decided to pass. As it is, I scored a 210 gallon setup today fromm a guy right here in Waldorf! I truly appreciate all of the information you gave me throught this.

-Rich