• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Courting colors

Greengirl

Members
Hi Everyone. Sam gave me a beautiful pair of Apistos two months ago and all of a sudden, the drab looking female is showing off a brilliant gold color, and the male isn't looking to shabby either. Are they courting now, and can I expect some fry soon? I have never raised Apistos before. I think they are the Inka apistos.

photo.jpg

JasonC

Members
Give it about 7 to 10 days after the eggs are laid for momma to bring out the teeny tiny free swimmers. I generally don't see momma for at least 2 days at all... that's how i know she has a clutch of eggs. Depending on how bold she is, she may sneak out for a bite to eat after the eggs hatch to larvae.

A couple of days after you notice her missing, I would fire up a batch of BBS... the free swimmers will happily gorge themselves on them as soon as momma brings them out.

Beautiful striping on the male by the way... Wish mine looked that good.

JasonC

Members
Yup... and whatever you are seeing now on the female is diddly compared to how electric the yellow gets once she has a brood. :p

Greengirl

Members
Sweet!! I hope she hides them well from the angelfish pair I have in the tank. It's big and planted, and she has that stump cave all to herself.

JLW

CCA Members
Is that one of my pairs? :)

They don't need to hide from the angels... other way around. Mama Apisto will guard those fry quite well.

With this being the first spawn, though, don't expect to raise any. They usually figure it out by the third or fourth try. That's what's wrong with me, I was a first child. :(

Greengirl

Members
No, I got these from Avatar. But I am happy to hear that they will handle their own with the angels. She is looking plain again, but my male is really looking nice still.