• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Could have been a really really bad morning

YSS

Members
Kinda long post but had to share ....

So, I am treating my 265G tank with heat as I have been having issues with my discus after I started feeding frozen blackworms. I started raising the tank temp Tuesday. Temp was going up and it was around 92 on Wednesday and it was around 95 yesterday. This morning I checked the temp and it went back down to around 90 (may be it was too cold over night?). So, I put another heater in the tank to crank the heat back up.

I am about to take the kids to the bus stop. My daughter goes "dad, I see a dead cat fish." So, I look and one of the orange laser corys is dead. I am thinking oh ... no biggie. And then my daughter goes, "there are more." So, I started to look and there are whole bunch of dead orange laser corys. So, I look around and I still have a lot of live ones. Time to abandon the whole tank heat treatment. So, I lower the temp on the heaters, pulled two extra ones I put it. I am fishing the dead cories and there are about 8 dead ones and two more about to die. I am done fishing the dead fish. It took a while because my tank is 30" tall. It's getting close to the bus time, but I can still make it.

Then I smell something burning. I put the heaters I pulled out from the tank on a towel, but I forgot to unplug it. The towel is about to catch on fire. So, I frantically unplug the towel and then there is big pop and a spark. Whole tank is out of power. :eek: I look and the heater melted a power cord of one my filters. So, I try to rest the power strip, but no luck. I run to the basement and try to rest the circuit breaker. Only, I don't know which one I tripped, so I reset everyone of them. Bye bye school bus. I came up still no power. I re-set the power strip and power is back up. Thank god. Kids are not late for school although they missed the bus. I can still make to my nine o'clock meeting at work. I am driving my kids to school and son my goes what about our other tanks? Oh shoot. My AC HOB filters have habit of not re-starting. So, I am starting to get concerned.

I drop the kids off at school and come back home. Two AC 110s on my 90G didn't start (but at least it had a Fluval 405). AC 20 in my daughter's tank didnt' start. So, I restarted all the filters and jumped back in the car. Now, I can't find my keys. I am looking for my keys. I gave up and got the spare keys (at least that part was painless). Now, I am driving like a mad man trying to make my meeting. I made the meeting, but the meeting started early and when I got there exactly at 9:00, the part I needed to be present for the meeting is over. :angry3: I need to go home and have a beer. But things could have been a lot worse this morning.

YSS

Members
Speaking of which, what do I need to do the AC HOBs so that they would re-start after losing power? I have tried cleaning everything, but it still doesn't seem to work.

rich_one

Members
I am assuming you mean self prime, right? You got me. As far as I know, they don't even self prime when installed brand new. You have to pour water into to prime it, or the motor just runs until it burns itself out. I have never owned a self priming AC.

-Rich

jonclark96

Past CCA President
What a doozie of a morning. As far as the AC's are concerned, have you tries replacing the impellers? I have the same thing happen on a few of mine and all it takes to restart is a push on the impeller.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fischfan13

Banned
I have had this happen to AC's as well.
There are two steps in getting it to run again, one is slightly barbaric...

Plug in the AC.
After it is plugged in SMACK the motor housing. Do it a few times if necessary. If it start to run you will then have to take a pencil and put it into the impeller and give it a little push forward...this will start the impeller.

If it doesn't work then get another beer...your hand might need it.

rich_one

Members
Oh, actually, I did have that happen once. I just pushed the impeller manually (using a toothpick... couldn't fit my hand down there! LOL...). It happened recently too, on my AC70... I'd forgotten until just now!

-Rich

YSS

Members
The rest of day is going much better so far. :)

Anyhow, as for the AC re-start. I can restart it like pushing on the impeller or smacking the crap out of the motor housing. But I have to be home for that. The problem is when I am not home. I lost 4 really nice fish a few months ago because the ACs didn't re-start after a power outage. May be I need to look at different filteration options.

lonlangione

Members
When you cleaned everything, did you take the motor off the filter box and pull the impeller out and clean around the metal shaft? I take q - tips and clean this area every month on my aqua clears. Junk accumulates at the bottom of the hole and it can hold the impeller and stop it from restarting. Thats why when you smack it it starts back up. Just a suggestion from an old timer and former pet shop owner who has fielded this question before.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Yeah, proper maintenance goes a long way in filter performance.

Even though the ACs get stuck when the power goes off, I've found that most HOB filters don't restart either. I think the ACs are the easiest to restart which is one of the reasons I prefer them. Cheap replacement parts and uniform media are others.

Glad things didn't get any worse than they were, sounds like it was already rough. Good luck with the rest of the situation.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Man Yun.. sounds like a doozie.

Sorry about the cories, the heater and the canister cord.... yikes.

mscichlid

Founder
As long as you don't have sponges on the intake they should restart. I had one that would never restart after a break in power and I switched it out. Impellar needed cleaning...

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Chopsticks

Every room in my house has a chopstick or wooden stir-stick from Starbucks near to had for just this circumstance which I encounter routinely. Seems like AC could/should be able to engineer a quick fix for this if they were sufficiently motivated, agree that it's a complete pain and potentially lethal design flaw.

I understand how the magnets often hold the impeller in place unless and until it's "primed" when the power comes back up, however can't quit envision how one might alter the impeller housing to ensure that the impeller starts spinning again by itself without being nudged. Ideas?

Wydukey1991

Members
I have two AC 200GPH filters and for me they require VERY little maintenance, twice in the past year ive had them. Over the summer I was having the power go out on at least a daily basis, if not more due to over powered air-conditioning, and every time both filters started back up on their own. IMO I think they started on their own due to the water level in that tank being half an inch from the rim. From my exp when power is cut to the filter the water in the filter will drain back out to even up with the water in the tank as close as possible, and with as high as i had that tank it wouldn't be much, certainly not enough to empty the filter of water.

hotwingz

Members
Wooow! What a morning. But +1 on tue AC push start. Its like pushing your car in high school lol! And another beer helps most (but not all!!!!) Situations!

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Sonny Disposition

Sorry to hear about your problems. But hang in there, I'm sure things will get better. It's a great hobby, despite the setback.

Most cories don't like it quite so hot-- they tend to be from backwater streams that have a lot of tree cover, so they usually don't like it much beyond the high 70s. The exception is Corydoras sterbai, which come from lowland waterways where there isn't so much tree cover. (Lot's of discus keepers keep sterbai.)