• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Concerns about water from a new water heater

I got a new water heater yesterday. As I was filling the plastic trash can where I age water, I thought the water looked weird. It has a whiteish sheen to it. I don't put hot water in the trash can, but it's sort of lukewarm, so it would have come in part from the new water heater. I pumped the water out and didn't use it for water changes. Anyone have experience with this?

Localzoo

Board of Directors
It's normal to have white even chalky stuff in the water just flush the lines and you will be ok.
It's calcium and lime al sorts of minerals etc.
it broke free when you changed the water heater and disturbed the buildup in the lines.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

CCA Members
+1

That seems most likely.

If you're concerned, I'd just use the water heater for a couple of days before doing a water change.

We got a new water heater at our house in California and were using it later that day for water changes (and drinking water)...

Matt

It's normal to have white even chalky stuff in the water just flush the lines and you will be ok.
It's calcium and lime al sorts of minerals etc.
it broke free when you changed the water heater and disturbed the buildup in the lines.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Glad to help
Sometimes there is air in the water heater so just check the temp on your heater.(might be too high)
Ps hope they added an expansion tank to the top part of the main tank.

Found this hope it help if you need to flush the heater

To flush a hot water tank, turn off the power supply for electric heaters or turn the gas knob to pilot mode first. Turn the cold water inlet valve off to the water heater. Connect a common garden hose to the drain valve at the bottom of the water heater to drain the tank. Lead the hose outside. Open the drain valve, along with some nearby hot water faucets, to let the water drain completely from the tank. Next, open the cold water inlet to flush the tank for a few minutes as cold water runs through it. Close the drain valve, leaving the cold water inlet on. Make sure that a few hot water taps in the house are open so the system will purge air. Once the hot water taps stop hissing and popping water, close the hot water taps and reopen the drain valve once more at the bottom of the tank until clear water comes out, then close. Repeat as necessary until water runs clear from the drain valve.

JLW

CCA Members
Holly,

Most likely, it sounds like someone seriously screwed up your hot water heater installation. First off, there is no need to heat hot water, it is already hot. It should just be a water heater. Secondly, it appears they've plumbed it into the milk supply. :(

blkmjk

Members
Holly,

Most likely, it sounds like someone seriously screwed up your hot water heater installation. First off, there is no need to heat hot water, it is already hot. It should just be a water heater. Secondly, it appears they've plumbed it into the milk supply. :(

Hahahaha I c an t stop laughing!

This I normal after a domestic hot water heater is replaced it is a protective film on the inside of the heater to prevent it from rusting while sitting in the supply house. I would run the water out of it two or three times and let it go. I wouldn't worry with shutting down the heat source it is a nice test to see how long it takes the tank to recover after you drain it of hot water completely. Should be under 1 hour if it is sized properly.

Drew