• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

"Common" or "Rare"- Does it really matter?

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
Okay, so I’m in the aquatics business…I see lots of fishes, plants, and corals.

But I still like looking for cool stuff. It’s this weird affliction, I guess. You understand, I’m sure you do. (click to read more)

dogofwar

CCA Members
Good article - you're on a roll!

"Common" fish are widely available because they tend to have the characteristics of great aquarium fish: hardy, mix well with other fish, colorful, easy to breed, etc. What's not to like about keeping them, even if you are an "advanced" aquarist?!

"Rare" aquarium fish are often less suitable aquarium residents. Ex-Cichlasoma beani, which was the hold grail for a passing minute, comes to mind. It's been in and out of the hobby a few times. Why doesn't it stick? Well, it's a big, brown (albeit sometimes with a honeycomb pattern), mean as sin cichlid that tends to get bloat. In the rush to acquire the holy grail, how many people were really prepared to raise them for life? Had worked their way up to keeping such a demanding species? The number of adults in the hobby answers that question...

The decline of quality LFS has led to the rise of many really good online sellers. The good thing about that is that literally hundreds of common and rare species are almost always available to anyone with a few bucks. The downside is that if just about anything is available, nothing seems rare of unusual anymore...and people are always on the quest for rare.

I'm a big fan of keeping what you like because YOU like it. Which is why my fishroom is full of the fish that I like, including many common ones. I'm always surprised when no one will spend $2 for a bag of rainbow cichlids or kribs or whatever relatively common fish in our club....when only a handful of folks in the club have BAP points or successfully bred them. They're great fish. Common or not :)

Matt

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
Good article - you're on a roll!

"Common" fish are widely available because they tend to have the characteristics of great aquarium fish: hardy, mix well with other fish, colorful, easy to breed, etc. What's not to like about keeping them, even if you are an "advanced" aquarist?!

"Rare" aquarium fish are often less suitable aquarium residents. Ex-Cichlasoma beani, which was the hold grail for a passing minute, comes to mind. It's been in and out of the hobby a few times. Why doesn't it stick? Well, it's a big, brown (albeit sometimes with a honeycomb pattern), mean as sin cichlid that tends to get bloat. In the rush to acquire the holy grail, how many people were really prepared to raise them for life? Had worked their way up to keeping such a demanding species? The number of adults in the hobby answers that question...

The decline of quality LFS has led to the rise of many really good online sellers. The good thing about that is that literally hundreds of common and rare species are almost always available to anyone with a few bucks. The downside is that if just about anything is available, nothing seems rare of unusual anymore...and people are always on the quest for rare.

I'm a big fan of keeping what you like because YOU like it. Which is why my fishroom is full of the fish that I like, including many common ones. I'm always surprised when no one will spend $2 for a bag of rainbow cichlids or kribs or whatever relatively common fish in our club....when only a handful of folks in the club have BAP points or successfully bred them. They're great fish. Common or not :)

Matt

Excellent points, Matt- particularly the admonition to keep what you like because YOU like it. I am very jaded in this department, having been co-owner of a major online coral vendor (Unique Corals), being a globally-followed speaker and author in that world, and seeing the (IMHO) disgusting trend in the reef keeping community of shunning the "old stalwart" corals as "boring" or relegated to "beginners", or whatever- as the "tittered" reef hobby's collective attention continues to degrade, resulting in hype-mongering Facebook options of photoshopped corals, etc., where the "shiny new object" keeps the frenzy going.

Freshwater hobbyists are, by and large, a far more individualistic, specialized group, caring much less about what everyone else is going, and way more about what interests themselves- and I love this. Nonetheless, I've seen a bit of that reef mindset sneaking in, and it makes me just a bit worried, lol.

Okay, enough paranoia for now!

Thanks for the great input and kind words!

-Scott