• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Collecting trips

If you had the chance (and the money) would you take a collecting trip?

• Heck no. Bugs, Snakes, and Roughing it. No trip for me.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I would go on a trip in but only if I can sleep in a 5 star hotel.

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • I would go on a Old world collecting trip in a second.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I would go on a New world collecting trip.

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • I would only go to Florida and collect.

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • I only collect my fish from glass boxes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would go on every trip I could.

Votes: 17 48.6%

• Total voters
I would like to go to africa only because I have been to central and south america. I think it would be cool to go to lake malawi and try to get some of the more rare cichlids.

Cartel

Members
Same as above iv been to central and south America a couple times already. Not that I have collected but I like seeing new things so the lakes would be what I'd go for

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I would love to go collecting west africans in cameroon. I also want to go collecting in peru and other areas of SA.

Cartel

Members
Ok so thinking about it and since im going through a I WANT PEACOCK BASS RIGHT MEOW! phase that id also like to go to SA....

dogofwar

CCA Members
We're going back to Uruguay next chance we get...could be awhile though... We combined it with a regular (read non-fish) vacation (Buenos Aires, Colonia, UR, etc.)

If I'd go to Africa I'd probably want it to be part of a broader trip that was non-fish related. Way too much to see and experience in the world than just fish (I know I'm a heretic) :)

Matt

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I voted no in your poll hoping I would be the only one. My surprise when it turned out you had a loser. Who wouldn't want to go collecting? Who is the club loser? I have been quite a few times as many of you know. Just got back three plus weeks ago and will go to Peru again next year with several friends. If you let me, I will talk about it in October.

Africa would be a fun trip but it is too expensive and you are fooling yourself if you think you are collecting in the rift lakes. You will just watch from what I have heard. West Africa sounds more interesting but logistics are difficult. Politics can be fun too. There are tours set up for the rift lakes but from what I have seen and heard you are on your own in the Western areas.

Ken's trip posted on this forum sounds VERY interesting but I went for two weeks once and found one week is my limit. Roughing it is OK but one week is about all my digestive tract, muscles, and mind can take. Plus after one week we all said we were catching nothing but MOTS (more of the same). You have to decide for yourself.

Last thing. If you ever want to go, now is the time. Air fares are a major part of your expense. They will never be lower. This year I paid less than half of the air fare I paid 9 years ago. Also some of the places you can collect today may be closed to you in the not too distant future. Political unrest is not declining, it is growing. I don't care what continent or country you are thinking of. I think it will only get worse in the next 5 to 10 years. GO NOW!!

All that said, check out Margarita Tours and maybe I can talk you into coming with me next year.

George

jrpatter

Members
I go collecting whenever I can. I have a trip to Uruguay in Nov (full), a trip to Peru in Jan(full), and a trip to Uruguay in March(open). I agree with George 2 weeks and it becomes too much to take care of. Also too many people and it can be a pain I like to limit my trips to 1 week and 6 or fewer people.

I have heard the same about the lake trips they are more of guided tours than collecting trips. And I have been invited to west africe, however my passport says america and with the political climate I dont wanna risk it.

I would like to go to Burma.

John

Lively

Members
I'd go almost anywhere to collect fish in less than a heartbeat - given the chance! A week roughing it sounds good. I'd love to visit Africa, it's always been at the top of my "want to see that" list - but from what the intrepid travellers say, I guess it wouldn't be top of my list for a collecting trip!

jrpatter

Members
Laugh I dont rough it. No sleeping bag on the ground for me, about as ruff as i get is no AC for part of the trip.

John

Sonny Disposition

I agree with Matt. Uruguay, Uruguay, Uruguay. Great fish, great diversity, and they don't need heaters. Plus, grilling meat over wood fires is the national pastime.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I voted anywhere on the poll yesterday. I grew up going to "nerd camp" at the Heights School in Potomac, tramping through creeks, collecting whatever we could find. Had insect collections, went fossil hunting at Calvert Cliffs and more than a few garter snakes and black rat snakes in 20 gallon tanks when I was little. (my mom loved that part, lol)

How I would love to do that at 31 years old. :)

I went to Rivera Maya in the Spring, snorkeled in cenotes and caves and saw some really awesome fish. I couldn't help but think about the prospect of collecting... but honestly, I know nothing about it. What permits do you need? What is the legal process? Where do I start? I have no idea and think I represent a large part of our group in being just plain clueless when it comes to this.

Honestly, I'd go anywhere. Me and the new wife are planning on getting dive certified in the next few months, so this should help. :)

As a side note, as much as I am a fan of the African cichlids, the whole political unrest thing in Africa scares me a whole lot. Maybe again, that may be just my ignorance.

See you guys tomorrow.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
The Great Lake of Malawi...

However, the other ideal collecting trips would be South America, Central America and maybe Singapore with Li.

I think that's the place Li and I were talking about at the ACA.:)

Even a little trip to my favorite spot in the states, MiGami would be cool.

RM