• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

CO2 refills

bschuhart

Members
So I got this mini CO2 system will my Fluval Flora Nano Tank. The verdict is still out if this is any good or crap.

It uses 20g mini threaded CO2 cartridges. Is there a difference between the CO2 used in an aquarium and say CO2 cartridges to refill my bicycle tires or CO2 used in some kitchen devices like my whipped cream maker?

These CO2 cartidges cost about $15 for a 3 pack at the fish store or $1.00 a piece at the bike shop. It would be great if the CO2 from the bike shop was good enough, I would save $$$$

Any thoughts?

MAV75

Members
As far as I know, CO2 is CO2. You said your nano uses 20g cartridges, I don't know if it will make a difference with how it fits in the dispenser, but most cycling cartridges are 16g or 12g.

bschuhart

Members
As far as I know, CO2 is CO2. You said your nano uses 20g cartridges, I don't know if it will make a difference with how it fits in the dispenser, but most cycling cartridges are 16g or 12g.

I looked on line and found the same thing. The threads are a different size too, I checked my bike pump a saw the 16g cart. has smaller threads. So it looks like Fluval's got a monopoly on this. But I did see that one company is starting to make a 20g cartridge, says it's for mountain bike tires, the price is higher. So I might try to find an adapter.

From what I read, one 20 gram cartrdge should last about a month in my Nano, that's about $5.00 a month for CO2.