• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

closed air loop

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
I would like to build a loop for my fishwall. Does the loop need to be on the horizontal plane, or can it be vertical? My idea is to run the PVC under the top shelf of my unit, down under the second shelf, then back to the top. The upper piece will supply air to 6 or 7 10 gallon tanks. The lower piece will supply air to two 20-longs on the 3rd shelf and two more on the bottom shelf.

Will this work?

Blaise

P.S. Happy New Year CCA!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've never run one myself, but I wouldn't think that it would be much of an issue with the appropriately sized air pump/blower.

MarkK

CCA Members
As long as it is a closed loop you can run in as many directions as you want or need. The fact that it is a loop evenly distributes the pressure. I highly recommend you get a ratchet type PVC cutter--it will make installation much, much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
You can run anyway you want.
I have read though, that it is best not to have 90degree turns but rather have curves.

turfboss

Members
Blaise -

I have mine set up with 1.5" PVC pipe - much easier to drill holes for the valves in a bit larger pipe - also provides a larger volume of available air. My piping goes around the top of the room - down under a drop down ceiling area - with two vertical drop downs to the shelf areas of two different three shelf rack areas. It is a closed loop and so whether it is vertical or horizontal makes absolutely no difference - in addition, I have 22 - 90 degree right angle connections (elbows or T's) in my system and it works perfectly. I am driving it with an Alita 40 - currently into about 20 tanks - and I have two valves open to air stones (not in water) to relieve air pressure in the supply line.

I was told not to glue the PVC piping (made sense since it would be easier to change piping an any point) but I have found that I cannot get the build up I need without gluing the pieces together - the problem is that the pressure in the line keeps blowing the joins apart. PVC pipe is pretty inexpensive and worst case in requiring a change is to cut out an elbow or T at some point and recouple in the new location.

I use a PVC saw to cut my pipe - the ratchet cutter works well but for the size pipe I settled on was pretty expensive so just decided to use the saw I had.