• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cinder blocks and bricks

Peacockbass

Hello just wondering it anyone knew if it was safe to but regular cinder blocks and bricks into a tank. I am thinking of using them for a new tank design.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I *think* that bricks are probably inert, but *may* break down over a very long time of being fully submerged.

Cinder blocks on the other hand are similar to concrete (composed of portland cement, aggregate and water). The portland cement contains significant alkali that will raise your pH. You can get around this though by soaking the blocks over time (with frequent water changes). Reefers make artificial live rock out of concrete.

If you're looking to keep new world stuff in with concrete/cinderblocks, I'm not sure if you can ever get the pH down enough to be safe.

I've never done it before, but there is a wealth of info on reef sites (try Reefcentral.com) about making your own rock. The curing process should be similar.

mrkillie

Members
I have seen them in African cichlid tanks. The person did soak them before using for the reasons mentioned above.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I haven't used them myself but have seen pictures of some who have. I am pretty sure most soak them for a long period of time like Tony said. I think that JGentry on MFK uses them in his ponds. You may try pm'ing him if you ever go on MFK.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I have been using bricks in my pond for years without a problem. No mortar on them.

Cinder blocks are probably inert. If actually made with cinders from burning of coal, which produces tons of cinders, they can be OK. I know that ponds in WV that served as dumping places for cinders actually had good populations of sunfishes in them, but there were signs saying not to fish around the pond, possibly because the fish were adsorbing the toxic metals that would possibly come from the cinders.

The mortar used to hold the cinders together would do as others here have said, cause the pH to go up. SO it would be hard to use them in a tank you wanted to hold at below pH 7.

If you do use cinder blocks, I would recommend they be placed in water for a week or two prior to use in the aquarium.

Peacockbass

thanks everyone. so many cinder blocks are not the best idea. anyone got any good ideas for decorations with large central american cichlids

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I'd recommend that you go to a landscape or nursery and check out their rocks. Some have huge river rock that would be great. THere are even some places that just sell rock, mainly paving rock, but often have boulders and such.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I agree with Frank- check out a local rock quarry. There is a good one on Guide Drive if you are in the Rockville area. A lot of people with CAs also use terra cotta pots in their tanks. I have found them cheaper at Michael's than in garden centers.