• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cichlid that form strong bond

I have kept a variety of old and new world cichlid, and experienced different bonding behavior. Only egg layers form pair bond, but the strength varies with species.

I currently have a pair of cryptoheros panamensis that bonded 2 years ago, and continue to hang out like love bird.

Another pair of my Red Ceibal has also paired up for a year and hang out all the time despite rarely spawned.

My African Brichardi and Julie also form strong territorial bond, but not one to one but more like a group.

On the other end, some New World like Jack Dampsey and Green Terror only form temporary bond in spawning, and divorce or attack the mate afterward.

What other cichlids have you experienced strong bonding?

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Red Jewels form very strong bonds and they breed like mad once you get them started. I experience the same issue with my Jacks. Unless they are chosen mates, it is hard to get them to stick together. My big EBJD male bonded with a normal female and spawned regularly. But even then, they didn't always stick together so closely. It was on for two weeks, off for two days.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Pair bonding and care of their fry is one of my favorite cichlid characteristics!

Try giving the pair of chanchitos a winter cool down for a couple of months. They'll spawn in the spring when the temps start to come up...

Matt

I have kept a variety of old and new world cichlid, and experienced different bonding behavior. Only egg layers form pair bond, but the strength varies with species.

I currently have a pair of cryptoheros panamensis that bonded 2 years ago, and continue to hang out like love bird.

Another pair of my Red Ceibal has also paired up for a year and hang out all the time despite rarely spawned.

My African Brichardi and Julie also form strong territorial bond, but not one to one but more like a group.

On the other end, some New World like Jack Dampsey and Green Terror only form temporary bond in spawning, and divorce or attack the mate afterward.

What other cichlids have you experienced strong bonding?

verbal

CCA Members
I haven't kept them but the Orange Chromide has a reputation of a life-long pair bond. I also have heard the goby cichlids from lake tanganika form strong pair bonds.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I've kept kribs that had a strong pair bond. I never kept them as a trio, only as equal ratios.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dogofwar

CCA Members
It's really hard to get individual orange chromides to "pair"...only way I've been successful is to start with a group of juveniles.

Once you have a pair they're wonderful companions but terrible to other chromides. Two male chromides will tear each other to bits, as will dropping even multiple adult females with a mature male. And what are you going to do with a single male orange chromide?!

Really cool fish with interesting spawning behavior (they dig little holes and move the babies around. And have green eggs). I've kept and bred them in both tap water and brackish.

Matt

I haven't kept them but the Orange Chromide has a reputation of a life-long pair bond. I also have heard the goby cichlids from lake tanganika form strong pair bonds.

Most mouthbrooders are harem breeders and don't bond. Never kept Tang Goby but read that they are bi parental mouth brooders and this is why they are the exception. But I wonder if they break up after spawning.

All convict family fish form strong bond but are very intolerant of non-bonding members. Jewel fish and Rams were my first cichlid and they bond. Jewel fish look (central dot) and behave like many SA and I suspect they are genetically very close.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have kept a lot of the cyptoheros/amatitlania species over the years, and while I've experienced temporary strong pair bonds, I've only really had a couple of pairs live long lives together in harmony. Like most Central American cichlids, I've found that something eventually sets off one of the fish (usually the male) and I've come home to find a female shredded or dead. Even had females jump out of tanks trying to get away from their once peaceful mate.

The real exception was a pair of Rio Robalo amatitlania kanna that I kept years ago. They were great together for 3-4 years.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I try to keep some other fish behind a divider or in a breeder box with pairs of Cons and Cryptoheros. The pair thinks that there's a threat and stay bonded (vs. taking out the energy on each other).

Seeing pairs in the wild trying to defend against schools of tetras and other predators gives you an idea of the level of dedication. Willem Heins estimated that only ~1 in 1,000 fry of substrate spawners like Amphilophus make it to maturity in Lake Nicaragua and crater lakes.

I've still got Rio Robalo, Panama cons, including the original male!

Anyone interested in some F1 Rio Banano, Costa Rica A. kanna? Jeff imported them once. Rare fish auction?

Matt

I have kept a lot of the cyptoheros/amatitlania species over the years, and while I've experienced temporary strong pair bonds, I've only really had a couple of pairs live long lives together in harmony. Like most Central American cichlids, I've found that something eventually sets off one of the fish (usually the male) and I've come home to find a female shredded or dead. Even had females jump out of tanks trying to get away from their once peaceful mate.

The real exception was a pair of Rio Robalo amatitlania kanna that I kept years ago. They were great together for 3-4 years.