• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

chip in my filled 40 breeder

bertolli

Members
Hey guys,
As luck would have it after losing half of my stock from the power outage i did a water change today and while cleaning algae off the glass noticed a tiny crack in front face of the tank. I bought this tank about 3 weeks ago from petco on the $1 a gallon sale. It's a 40 breeder. Is this something i should be panicy about cuz i am. If the tank breaks open im definitely getting evicted.... lemme know what you guys think, it doesn't leak and you can barely see it 5 feet from the tank if you know where it is.

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af9/skippy_r8/003.jpg

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Cracks generally grow...

...chips don't. Unless you're prepared to drain the tank to below the level of the crack, drill a hole at the end of it, and then patch it (you could turn the patch-side to the wall) you may have a problem if not physically speaking then probably physiologically from the stress of wondering of its going to implode isn't going to go away anymore than the crack. Like the others said. best put your fish in a bowl and take the tank back and if they can't exchange it then use your refund to see what kind of a deal they'll give you on a suitable replacement.

Just be nice and tell them what they need to hear to do the right thing - generally it works really well.

Last edited:

bertolli

Members
despite my better instincts telling me to take it back i think i'm just gonna monitor it for the next few days, it doesn't seem to be an issue and it isn't even visible. I just got the tank fully set up and i am THAT lazy

mab

Members
despite my better instincts telling me to take it back i think i'm just gonna monitor it for the next few days, it doesn't seem to be an issue and it isn't even visible. I just got the tank fully set up and i am THAT lazy

Not to be the morality police but I think that is the better course since taking it back and claiming it was defective when you chipped it is dishonest.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Agree if it was cracked when it was bought that's one thing...

...if it happened afterwards that's a different animal.

bertolli

Members
Not to be the morality police but I think that is the better course since taking it back and claiming it was defective when you chipped it is dishonest.

I honestly don't know if it happened before or after. It is such a small chip that I wouldn't have noticed it while buying it. The only reason I noticed it is because i was cleaning the glass with a magnet. The chip doesn't seem to be an issue, thanks for your input everyone.

Rasta Fish

Members
You should take it back now if you can
since its already setup and running replacing the tank and setting up should be pretty easy, since you can use all your water and substrate you can get the tank back up and running in the same day...dont risk getting evicted, best to loose two hours now than trying to find a new place and setting up a new tank... its not worth it

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
You should take it back now if you can
since its already setup and running replacing the tank and setting up should be pretty easy, since you can use all your water and substrate you can get the tank back up and running in the same day...dont risk getting evicted, best to loose two hours now than trying to find a new place and setting up a new tank... its not worth it

^^^^^ Sorry man; I'm with Craig on this one.

Spine

Members
I would call them and explain that you don't know if the chip there before or after you bought it and let them decide whether they will replace it. Whether they're going to help you or not I would replace the tank its a time bomb.

I'm sure you could easily resell that tank to a reptile keeper(Craigslist) for $30-40 bucks no problem. Since they don't need it to hold water and it new, a small blemish like that wouldn't bother them.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Hey! How about you aim a vidcam at it so we can all share in the experience when...

....it finally goes? We could even have a contest for the person who guesses the closest time. We'll put you down for 'never' but in fairness allow you to collect your prize if it lasts past February 1, 2012.