• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Champsochromis

CichlidsRock

Members
My 7 year old son is totally fixated on buying a male and a few female Champsochromis. We'll be at the September 12th meeting. Thanks for any leads you can give us.

Vinh2o

Members
"Dad Of The Year" His 7 year old already has fallen in love with the hobby and has great taste in fish selection. Let me turn my head away for a moment while I shed a few Man Tears of joy.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Tangcollector

Staff member
Dad of the year is right. Not only wants fish but knows what a Champsochromis is. Be prepared. These are very large predatory fishes. I have personally owned them at over a foot. You're gonna need a bigger boat.

I have one 6" growing out, still a long way to go if the max size is a foot.

It's amazing for a 7 year old to ask for a Champsochromis, most kids that age can't tell a difference between a goldfish and BP. Hope he stays on to become the next generation fish hobbyists.

Tangcollector

Staff member
I have one 6" growing out, still a long way to go if the max size is a foot.

It's amazing for a 7 year old to ask for a Champsochromis, most kids that age can't tell a difference between a goldfish and BP. Hope he stays on to become the next generation fish hobbyists.

Max size can go to 18" so I've read. Mine made it to about 14". I will also add that IMO they are fairly mild mannered compared to some other haps and such. They do have large mouths though.

Yes, I found mine very mellow. I have a full grown male Eye Eater compressisep, about 10", also very mellow. So predator and aggressiveness have no correlation. I wonder if they will fight if I house both predators together.

Tangcollector

Staff member
Yes, I found mine very mellow. I have a full grown male Eye Eater compressisep, about 10", also very mellow. So predator and aggressiveness have no correlation. I wonder if they will fight if I house both predators together.

I had both of mine together and they were both very large males. I also had a large red Empress, and electric blue and a some peacocks in there and I had almost no aggression issues. I also has some large Synodontis Catfish and a fairly large Kendali. It was a great tank. Just change water, add food and watch them color up and grow. But come to think of it I had no females in there.

I have a breeding group here at work but I haven't raised any fry in a long time. I just let the females release in the tank.

Plus I am in Wisconsin.

Sorry, I know that is kind of a mean tease.