• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Catfish tankmate for JDs

dankdabe

Members
Looking for a bottom feeder/catfish that can get along with my JD pair (mature and feisty). Aside from a big ole' pleco, is their anything else? My initial thinking is that the candidate would have to be either A) large enough to handle getting picked on, or B) a reclusive hiding option (Raphael or the like). Need some advice here.

Thanks,

David

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Rafaels would fit the bill, but you already know that you will rarely see them. I've kept pictus cats with central americans in the past, but if you have a fiesty mated pair, they may not be tough enough.

You could always try one of the smaller pleco species. Bristlenose are pretty bulletproof.

dankdabe

Members
Thanks. Yeah I guess Im leaning towards a pleco anyhow. Just seeing if there's anything else out of the ordinary. Something I havent thought of. A nice fat bristlenose would look good.

eden2020

Members
Catfish...

I have very large Synos - Decorus, Eupterus, and Ocellifers and although they may not fit your current SA tank, they are bullet proof. My Eupterus hold against any fish I have kept. They grow quickly for the first year or so too, then they slow some. Decorus are pretty docile, hide much of the day. Only active if they don't get much to eat 9based on the stocking in the tank). Ocellifers are pretty close to the Decorus in nature. My Eupterus on the other hand, heck they will swim through a fish to get eat.. crazy. Sweet sailfin too...

-Marc and family..

Hawkman2000

Members
BE WARNED!. I tried a eupterus with those two when they were half the size they are now. Did not end well. That femal bit me once and drew blood, so I was always weary of getting my hands to close to the male. I also tried a bristle nose, was able to save it in time and transfer it to another tank. Took 3-4 months for that poor things fins to grow back completely. I highly recomend something with a little armor like the rafael. That male has a very entertaining persanality, but the only thing he will be friendly to is objects that deliver food (tube I used to drop frozen shrimp in the tank). Even then he gets impacient and snaps at it. Common pleco and a raphael or similar would be the best bet in my opinion. BTW, how are they holding up? Are they more active?