• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Catfish Convention

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I'm pretty sure that if you are registered for MGA, then you will just need to fill out the form at the auction to get your bidder's card.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
To register you items in the CatCon 2014 auction this coming Sunday

just go to http://mygroupauctions.com/

just like you would do for a regular club auction.

Then look for the entries on the list that refer to the CatCon 2014

There are two of them. Pick the one you want to put your items in.

verbal

CCA Members
I'm trying to register as a buyer for the auction on My Group Auctions and see no place to do that . . . help?

You may need be associated with Potomac Valley Aquarium Society. Use the "Join A Group" link on the top right when you login to MyGroupAuctions.

Yes, I belong to MyGroupAuctions. Yes, I found the place to add items. I wanted to register to bid. It sounded from the website that you could do that online, but maybe you just need a MyGroupAuctions account to get a bidding number?

verbal

CCA Members
Yes, I belong to MyGroupAuctions. Yes, I found the place to add items. I wanted to register to bid. It sounded from the website that you could do that online, but maybe you just need a MyGroupAuctions account to get a bidding number?

If you have an MyGroupAuctions account associated with PVAS, then your bidder registration should be very smooth.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I see no way on the my group auctions website to register as a buyer. THis is probably because if you want to run a tab for items you purchase and then pay when you are ready to go home, you must provide a drivers license to get your bidders card. Plus the bidder card is a numbered card that is only available at the event.

verbal

CCA Members
It is correct that bidder registration is done the day of the auction. However for out of town members being registered in MyGroupAuctions will make it a quicker process.

I see no way on the my group auctions website to register as a buyer. THis is probably because if you want to run a tab for items you purchase and then pay when you are ready to go home, you must provide a drivers license to get your bidders card. Plus the bidder card is a numbered card that is only available at the event.

Bringing our Florida Fish Farm to you

We will be set up at the show all weekend. Here is just a sample of the fish we are bringing. Check out our website at imperialtropicals.com.

Many types of Rams, Shrimp, moss balls, Rainbowfish, dwarf crayfish, wild gold nugget plecos, angelfish, red head tapajos and more!!

chris_todd

Members
Well, believe it or not, I'll be there Saturday and Sunday! I just registered, and got a room for Saturday night. So I get to spend one last weekend with my fish peeps before selling most of my fish and stuff and getting out of the hoby for a while.

verbal

CCA Members
One heads up about the auction vs. Tag Sale. The only Dry Goods allowed in this auction are NIB items.

Plant entries in the auction should be rarer and/or more desirable plants. What is there so far looks good, but with the more common plants - definitely some of the lots should be in the tag sale.

JLW

CCA Members
Hey Folks

Are you coming from out of town, and flying into the Catfish Convention? Bringing fish home via airplane, or even having to deal with fish stuffed in the car during a long drive, can be a huge hassle. While aquarium fish are allowed by TSA, some airlines will reject fish in carry-on, and TSA agents have discretionary authority to reject packed fish. With fish in the car, stopping at a rest stop can quickly turn your car into an oven, and your bagged fish into soup.

One of the best options is to ship your fish to you -- but if you're leaving Sunday, this may not be viable. Batfish Aquatics is offering a bag and ship option to you. Due to the amount we ship, we receive a better shipping rate on fish, and are willing to pass these savings on to you. You pay only the cost of shipping, plus the following rates:

Drop Off Only: $5 per box.
Hand us your box, packed up and ready to go, and we'll ship it off to you for shipping + $5.

Box and Ship: $10 per box.
This service is available if you do not have a box, but do not need or want fish rebagged. We will provide a styro and outer carton, packing material, and ship the fish to you, for $10 per box, plus the cost of shipping.

Rebag w/ Air: $1 per bag.
Want your fish rebagged in fresh, clean water? We will replace the water with clean water, add shipping chemicals, and rebag the fish (replacing the bag as needed). This service is available for $1 per bag of fish, and may be done anytime. We'll happily rebag the fish for you before you put them in the car, or we can box and ship them for you.

Rebag w/ Oxygen: $2 per bag.
Same as above, but we will use compressed oxygen to inflate the bags.

JLW

CCA Members
Hey folks,

Since we have a lot of vendors coming from out of the area, and there has already been some confusion about it, I wanted to remind attendees that there a few items which are restricted from sale at Catfish Convention.

Any item which is prohibited by law, obviously, cannot be allowed to be bought, sold, or traded at any PVAS event. There are a handful of fish, plants, and other animals that are commonly traded outside of the area, but cannot be sold.

FISH:
Virginia prohibits the sale of Pirahna. Numerous species of Saratherodon, Tilapia, and Oreochromis are also restricted. The weather loach has also been restricted. Many species of Gambusia are also restricted, though most of these are not common in the hobby. Federal law prohibits any species of snakehead.

AMPHIBIANS:
Both the African Clawed and the Dwarf African frogs are illegal in Virginia.

INVERTS:
ALL SPECIES OF CRAYFISH are banned within Virginia.

PLANTS:
Numerous species of plants remain traded within the hobby that are banned under Federal law. Virginia law prohibits the sale of these plants.
This list includes:

Azolla pinatta (Pinatte Azolla. Carolina Azolla is okay).
Water Hyacinth
Hydrilla
Hygrophila polysperma and its variants (Tropical Sunset, Light Green Hygro, etc).
Ambulia
Pretty much all species of Salvinia
Arrowhead Sag.

Any species of plant or animal that is native to Virginia is also restricted without special permit.

Additionally, PVAS has traditionally agreed to restrict the sale, at fall events, of ANY PLANT that is typically only kept in ponds -- e.g., now is not a good time to try to sell your bags of water lettuce. (Plants which can be kept as tubers etc. over winter are acceptable). Please just bin them.

chris_todd

Members
About the auction and tag sale labels - the convention website suggests labels will be printed for us at the convention. Is that correct? Or do we need to print out our labels at home before we leave?

mchambers

Former CCA member
In the past, they've been printed at the site and given to you when you register. On some occasions (maybe last year's AquaFest?), however, there have been technical difficulties, so I usually bring backup labels of my own making, just in case.