• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Catching cats.... How to?

tremper

Members
I have 3 fish I desperately need to move from one tank to another and I refuse to break down the entire tank to get to them. They are:

2 Syn petricola
1 abn

They all spend their time in a massive piece of drilled out and well caved driftwood which weighs about 100# fully wet. It's attached to a 1'x2' piece of 1.5" thick stone just to keep it down and I am pretty sure the last time I messed with it I fractured the bottom of my tank which eventually led to my 150g becoming a 35g while away on a biz trip.

I was able to trap two other abns in the tank but these 3 are way too clever.

I have a short section of pvc tube to which i've attached a piece of flexible webbed plastic which collapses once they swim through it and into a large mesh bag, thus trapping them in the bag.

So the questions is, what the best "bait" for each of these speices.... I'm underfeeding the other tankmates hoping to get these guys good and hungry to go for the snacks in the tube but so far, no luck.

Btw, i've been using algae wafers which are right at the end of the tube and thus can not be eaten without going through the tube. The tube is located right at the primary entrance to their log but there are at least 20 other ins and outs.....

Any other advice would be appreciated.....

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
There are a few strategies and you may be using one of the best. You might try catching them at night. Either all lights in the house out including the tank light or just the tank light on. Use a dark colored net, green or red. If all lights are out, use a flash light to find the fish you want and net it.

If you have a fish corral, sold in a number of fish related on-line stores, you can try using it in daylight or dark. Place the corral in the tank with the string to close the door hanging where you can reach it or your helper can man the door. Use your hand to gently or slowly move the fish to the door side of the tank. Placing the corral with the door about 8 inches from a front corner is best IMO. Once the fish is at the right end of the tank move your hand to the back of the tank to try to get the fish to go to the front of the tank. Then he is fairly likely to go into the corral.
Do not move your hand or net fast as the fish will likely panic and move even faster.

tremper

Members
Thanks Frank. While I occassionally actually see the ABN, I see the petricolas perhaps once a week. They NEVER come out of that piece of driftwood. Sometimes I see their tail wagging from one of the hide holes, but like I said there are so many escape routes I just cant get them out in the open. I'll set my alarm for 2 a.m., drop a few wafers in and see if I can sneak up on them. I'm gone so often that even my footsteps on the floor send them all scurrying off if they're ever out.

Do these guys have some kind of culinary achilles heel? Something irresistable. I'm not averse to bribery.....

I actually turn off the lights and use a flashlight. And then I used a net with meaty pellets in it to entice the catfish. Only took me couple of weeks with patience...haha!

Arlene

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Sounds good but I think I'm going to set a trotline up and see if I can hook 'em....

LMAO. Next time you see a tail hanging out, just grab a pair of needle nose pliers... :p

I have one of those traps that Frank was talking about if you want to give that a shot, Joe.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I tried a snail trap in one of my tanks recently, but I kept catching fish in it. Maybe that would work? Guess the trick would be catching the right fish.

tremper

Members
These guys are not stupid. I swear, I got up 2x last night, no luck, I did see them tho..... Its a 150g tall, 3 feet high so thats obstacle number one. They know I'm coming through the vibrations in the floor. Those synos are as fast as angry hornets. I was on a ladder, I kinda fell in.... I could continue....

Serioulsy, tiny little hooks....... it could work......

Tony, PLEASE bring the trap on the 19th!

You should be able to entice the BN out with zuccinni or cucumber attached to the side of the tank. and then with a big net and soft footsteps, grab him them. As for the petricola -- they're not going to hurt anything and it's unlikely anything you put in there will hurt them, so just leave 'em be is my two cents

tremper

Members
Holly, I have one petricola in one tank and 2 in the other, i want to reunite the trio.....

Soft footsteps are not possible in my house, built in 1840, original floors, a bit creeky and when the wind blows the whole thing shakes.....

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I was laughing out loud because of the visual of you sneaking up on the tank, climbing the ladder and falling in in the dark.

Did you really fall in?

tremper

Members
Not completely, that could've ended poorly for everyone except my heirs... Suffice it to say my sinuses opened up a bit after a big whoosh of water surged through my snout.....