• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Can't Stop...

Hannibal

Members
picking up tanks.

Buddy of mine called me up to see if I wanted his 30 gallon cube tank since he upgraded his tank. He was going to throw it away so I had to say yes. He dropped it off last night and here it is.

It needs a good cleaning but from the looks of it he took very good care of it. I couldn't see any scratches on it. I can't believe he was going to throw it away!

I am open to suggestions on what to stock it with. Thinking about planting it and doing some apistos or rams, but other suggestions are always welcome!

It will be a little while before its up and running though since I am heading down to palm beach in three weeks. I really don't want to set up a fresh tank before I leave since I won't be able to keep an eye on the levels of everything.

Cheers!

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Nice pickup, Chris!

I see a pair of angels with cories on the bottom. :)

Or you could do a pair of discus....

What is the footprint on that guy?

Hannibal

Members
Thanks!
You told me at the meeting I would be up to 10 tanks in no time, I guess you were right.

I think its around 20x18x21 or something like that. I measured it really quick last night.

I forgot about discus, now the wheels are really turning...

YSS

Members
Nice pick up. Can't say no to free tanks, that's for sure. IMO, that tank is too small for discus. Have fun with it.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Levels? We don't need no stinking levels...

Nice tank. Picked up one just like it for free a couple years back except that on mine the base has a drawer over the cabinet and the edges of the tank-base extend beyond the stand and are actually unsupported - all and the only support is on/directly against the bottom glass. Had to think that one through but finally concluded that it's at least as sound and probably more so than mere edge support that leaves a gap between the tank and the base (because molding typically runs underneath the edges of tanks) with a consequent degree of stress being created from downward pressure against the unsupported bottom glass.

Have angelfish, Corydoras and featherfins in mine. Encourage you to least at fill it with water and drop in a couple plants to establish/season it before you head off - have found tanks that sit empty of fish while the rest of the ecology sets up to be very conducive to spawning.

P4190124.JPG

Cyianara69

Members
Have angelfish, Corydoras and featherfins in mine. Encourage you to least at fill it with water and drop in a couple plants to establish/season it before you head off - have found tanks that sit empty of fish while the rest of the ecology sets up to be very conducive to spawning.

I want some of those angelfish .....

Very nice! I have one of those tanks and I'm currently moth-balling it for when I have more time. I'm planning to turn mine into a paludarium at a later date.

Arlene

Hannibal

Members
So I have decided that I want to turn this into a planted tank and then figure out what fish I want to add later. I thought the tanks in the competition at Aquamania were amazing and want to take my shot at doing something similar, I just don't know where to start.

Is there a webpage/forum that those of you who entered the competition use for reference? I am not so much concerned with the aquascaping of everything in the tank as I am with getting the proper substrate, lighting, filter, Co2 if needed, and so on.

I do have a couple of plants in a few of my other tanks and they seem to do ok with the standard fluorescent lighting, pool filter sand, an occasional dose of Excel, and something else I can't remember off the top of my head. I am looking to make this tank into an environment where plants flourish instead of just staying alive like my other tanks.

Hannibal

Members
Thanks for the link CY, not sure how I have not come across that site before.

I will have to look up GWAPA, do many people from here go to those meetings as well?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Go

Have been to a couple - great gentlefolk, fabulous plant deals to be had, more like a cultural outing/gathering than not.