• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Can't make a decision...which tank?

All right...I'm trying to decide, but can't make up my mind.

As soon as I get a "fish room" going in my basement, I plan on setting up a few tanks, three at most. I'm only doing three right now, because between some DIY remodeling, gardening, kids' activities, I'm not going going to have a lot of time for fish until maybe the fall.

So in a couple of months, I'll be setting up a planted tank with flash plecos, corys, and gobies. I'll redo my 30g cube to be a planted tank with small/micro community fish.

Which leads to which tank to set up as the third tank. I have a choice between a 40g breeder and a 33g long. In any case, I want to put my petricolas in this tank. I'm thinking that I'm going to want a cichlid tank consisting of smallish African fish that is very lightly planted. I like the 40 breeder because there is more of a footprint for putting more stuff in, but I also love the 33 long, because there is more of a view. So we are basically looking at a base footprint of 864 sq in. in the 40 breeder vs. 576 sq in. in the 33 long.

So which tank do I use and why? And what small, colorful African cichlids can I put with the petricolas?

Arlene

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Don't know if you know it but Deep Blue makes two tanks they call "frag tanks" that you may want to consider because of the footprint and short height.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
In the case of 40 breeder versus 33, I'd go with the 40 although I have very little experience with africans.

Terri

CCA Members
40-breeder. It provides more space front-to-back, which is better for aqua-scaping for africans. You can create a rock-scape along the back & leave the front more open. If you go w/ Tanganikans (one of my personal favorites), it will give you plenty of room to put 3 different fish types: rock-dwellers like Julies & Lamp. brichardi; open-water dwellers like Leptosoma spp.; sand/shell-dwellers like Lamp. brevis. Behaviorally speaking, such a set-up can provide for a wide diversity of species & be highly entertaining for years to come...& your S. petricolas will fit right in.

Terri

CCA Members
Oh yeah...& as an added benefit, most Tangs aren't big in the plant-eating department, so you can even include a number of high pH tolerant plants such as Anubias, Java fern, Bolbitis, plus many of the Crypt, Val, & Aponogeton species, just to name a few!

verbal

CCA Members
If I was going down to 3 tanks, I would probably go out and get another tank. I would probably go with a 75 or a 80 gallon frag tank. If you have a stand that would fit it, you could always keep the 33 for a hospital, quarantine, breeding, etc. tank.

Oh, I forgot to mention, that I already have the two tanks and they are currently in use. I just need to decide one to use and rescape. I plan on keeping the other tank as a grow tank for some plants in the future, like maybe in the fall or next year.

Also, I have a double tank stand that I was planning to put the 75g on top and either the 40g breeder or 33g long on the bottom.

Arlene

Last edited:

londonloco

Members
Arlene, I really like 75g tanks, 18" is a decent width. I know when we talked you wanted to down size the # of tanks you have, but if I was you, I'd set up the 75g with the 33g long on bottom. You could even leave the 33g empty until this fall.