• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

can an oscar have friends?

dlfn1

Members
i have a ~4 inch oscar, is there anything i can put w/ him other than another oscar?

he was w/ my gymnos and ate a couple, then they got a little bigger and he wasn't able to snack on them. he then got some sort of bacterial infection and was moved to a quarantine tank. the infection has cleared now, but i don't want to put him back w/ the gymnos since he will most likely snack on them when he gets a bit larger.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
A Jack Dempsey, Green Terror or simply put another Oscar. I've actually had an Mbuna live with a pair of Oscars for a about a year.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
Depends on tank size really. What is your long term plan? I have my oscar with a polypterus and it works out well. I also had him with cons and that worked out well, too.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Tank size is the key. If you have a big enough tank you could put in other similar sized, similar growing fish.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Mostly good advice so far. Another Oscar might be the worst choice. Unless they are a male and female that fall in love, death of the weakest one can result. If you have a big tank, there are any number of fish that will co-exist with an Oscar.

We do tend to anthropomorphize though and think our fish need friends. They do not. Oscars are very solitary fish. You will find yourself it's best friend if you leave it in a tank by itself. Oscars are good at relating to their keepers. FAR better than ANY rift lake stuff. Oscars can be good friends. Much better than a wife.

George