• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

C.A.R.E.S. registered Christmas Fulus (males)

lkelly

Members
Ok, so I've come to grips with the fact that I should part with some of these due to a wacky M/F ratio and wanting some tank space for new fish. Here's what I have - 5 male Xystichromis phytophagus between 2.5" and 3.5" long. All are sexually mature (I've had these fish breed at just over an inch) and will color up nicely in the right circumstances. Based on my experience that includes more than one male in a tank and of course the presence of females. Mine hold their own with mbuna (an adult red zebra) and don't intimidate my peacocks too much. I've kept a breeding group in a 40B with a trio of mild peacocks and a 6 male/1 female group in a 75 along side Paralabidochromis chromogynos (gets fairly rowdy with the males and some become sub-dominant but still manage).

These fish originally came from Dave's and he gets ONLY them from Greg Steeves who is the C.A.R.E.S. coordinator for Victorian cichlids. These fish are actually registered through the HCCC with C.A.R.E.S. if that's important to you. The main point is that this group is as authentic as you'll probably get considering the number of hybrids and incorrectly identified fish when it comes to this species (and Vics in general). That's why Dave only uses Greg as his source - he was tired of getting the wrong thing.

Anyway, I paid $10 each for .75 inch juvies and was hoping for $15 each for these grown ups. Dave doesn't seem to get them often, unfortunately.

Here are a few pics of them colored up.

IMG_1455_1024_zps9baef38e.jpg

IMG_1342_1024_zps7ea8ac20.jpg

IMG_1677_1024_zps10f3a096.jpg

I can bring them up to Aquamania, but would really prefer a Friday night delivery just to minimize the hassle of overnighting them in the hotel. Shoot me a PM if you are interested. Thanks!