• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Buying A Camera

Spine

Members
Hi Everyone,
After looking at all the great pictures posted by club members. I have decided to buy a Digital SLR Camera. Any advice as far as prices,megapixels,brands and acessories would be appreciated

Thanks

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Francine,
Bobby,
Mike,
and I all use Nikon

All different models.

I have a D70
Mike is a D80

Anything that is a DSLR and can use a wireless remote flash

Spine

Members
Francine,
Bobby,
Mike,
and I all use Nikon[/b]
Thanks Pat,
Hey maybe we can get Nikon to sponsor our club since everyone is spending $ on thier cameras. I've looked at the D80 it might be out of my price range but the D70,D40 and can be found new and used for what I'm willing to pay.

maddog10

Members
Kevin,

If it is a choice between the D40 and a D70, go with the D70. Some of the lenses will not work (auto-focus) on the D40. Of course what you really want is D2XS, that one is just a little on the expensive side.

D70 would be a good choice, then you can use all of Pat's equipment (he doesn't use it anymore) :angel2:

mscichlid

Founder
Kevin,
You could also consider a previously owned model, too. www.Keh.com would be a good online source.

But if you prefer to buy new, watch your model's replacement appearance and then go for it.

Francine

Laxison

Members
I know you guys all use Nikons, but I have a suggestion to throw in there: a Canon digital Rebel SLR. I've had it for nearly two years now and many people compare the Canon SLRs to the Nikon ones since they are both (in my opinion) some of the nicest cameras you can get. Good luck picking one out; you won't be disappointed in buying one!

know you guys all use Nikons, but I have a suggestion to throw in there: a Canon digital Rebel SLR. I've had it for nearly two years now and many people compare the Canon SLRs to the Nikon ones since they are both (in my opinion) some of the nicest cameras you can get. Good luck picking one out; you won't be disappointed in buying one![/b]

Canon works well. Go for it.

But, we all use our cams for aquarium photography first. The best results for this type of photography is a customized wireless remote flash setup. While Canon can let you go out there and buy the extras to accomplish this, Nikon is the leader in flash photography. Even the best Canon users will concede this. You can't beat the Nikon deal for this. :D

Spine

Members
Hi Pat,
Sorry it's taken so long to reply my computer has been down. I'm still looking the D70 will probley be my final choice.

Spine

Members
Thought I would give a update on the camera purchase. I haven't done anything yet but I'm leaning towards the Nikon D80 now.

If you are debating between the D70s and the D80, it's a no brainer. Go for the D80. The greater megapixels will allow you to print larger images with less distortion and pixelation.
Better viewfinder and larger lcd too. And, you can use all the new lenses.

Kevin,

Lori has a Nikon as well and loves it. She took some amazing shots when we were at the UVA/VT football game on Saturday. Crisp and clear. Got to make my national television debut in one of the crowd shots on ESPN to boot. My phone started ringing off the hook from people that saw us.

Artee

Members
Kevin.

that is my christmas wishlist, a digital camera, been reading up on the d80 myself, what prices are they going for now ?

Rob

I'm leaning towards the D80 so much I'm about to fall and my wallet can't get up.[/b]

A new D80 body is going for $800. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4490...tal_Camera.html

I always suggest going for the body and then buy a lens that you will get the most use out of for your shooting preference. Most folks regret buying the kit lens with the body as a bargain. Almost gurantee you will upgrade to a better lens in just a few months.

Mike has the D80 and several lenses. He'll probably make some good suggestions.

maddog10

Members
The D80 is an EXCELLENT camera. As for which lens to get - it depends on what you want to do with your camera.

For taking photos of your fish, nothing beats a good macro lens (Nikon calls them micro). Nikon has two GREAT micro lenses, the 60mm and the 105mm. Both will take wonderful photos, but the 105mm has VR (vibration reduction) which helps if you intend to shoot hand held (without a tripod) but it is not the best choice for tight areas (like my fish room). The 105mm is also more expensive.

For a walk around, all occasion lens I like my kit lens. It is the 18-135mm and it takes nice photos. I have used it to take photos of my fish, my family and some animals around my house. There are a lot of nice, reasonably priced lenses that will do the job in this category.

If you like the eagle photos Bobby has been posting, you are going to need a long zoom lens. At a minimum I would suggest the 70-200mm (Bobby and I both have this lens). A better choice would be a staright 400mm or 500mm lens. Good zoom lenses start at about $1500 and can cost over $10,000. Lenses are where most of the money goes! Just can't beat a good lens!

Artee

Members
Mike.

what comes out of the box, just the camera or does it includes any extra lens or wireless flash, am just going to use it for normal picture taking and fishroom, will try to get the whole setup all at once.

Rob

maddog10

Members
You can buy it as a body only or most places offer kits which will include a lens. You usually have to buy the wireless flashes separate. If you can, get at least one SB-800 flash. That flash can be used as a master and can control additional flashes (SB-600 or SB-800).

Got most of my equipment from B&H Photo ( www.bhphotovideo.com ). You can also go to Ritz Camera and check out what they have, they may even work with you if you buy a complete set-up.