• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Brown algae - what's that about?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Have a recently set up 29 with a couple of 20W grow-lights, and there's brown alage on pretty much everything but the two angelfish. Only tank I've ever set up with plant substrate (aquarium plants co.) and its the only one I've ever seen 'bloom' like this. Too much phosphorus or some other nutrient? My usual response to excessive algae is to throw water sprite and other floating plants in to block some of the light until the other plants get established but this seems a little different.

Experience? Suggestions?

dlfn1

Members
i'm with verbal, probably diatoms. i have the same thing going on in a new 5.5 g tank. it's all over the glass.

chris_todd

Members
Diatoms are quite common shortly after setup of a planted tank, and usually go away after a few weeks. Using water sprite or other fast growing floating plants helps, as do nerite snails or perhaps otocinclus catfish.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Thank you Mr. Wizard(s)

Seriously, spot-on diagnosis, or so says my subsequent research.

Thanks.